How to Order A Pumpkin Spice Latte

How To Order A Pumpkin Spice Latte, From A Former Barista

We get it, you like pumpkin spice. Move along.

53

Yes, it's only September, but that outrageously orange pumpkin sauce is back at it again in Starbucks locations everywhere.
It's floating around the internet that some people are actually offended about the drink's early release. I for one already browse the Halloween section at Micheal's, so I am ready for the early harbingers of fall. As a Fall lover and a former barista, here are a few tips to consider when ordering this seasonal drink:

1. Please, oh please, do not order it as a "PSL."

These are three letters that are very difficult to hear correctly in a busy loud Starbucks. It's not that hard to say some extra syllables. Please do so.

2. Be nice to your baristas.

This is the beginning of the end for their sanity. Working at a Starbucks during Fall and the holiday season is a whole journey in itself. They are going to be bombarded with demanding people and long shifts while still trying to have holiday plans of their own. Please remember this as you're purchasing your orange beverage.

3. Just STOP discussing why you like pumpkin spice lattes.

Starbucks has been putting them out every year for 15 years, and someone has something to say about the drink every one of those years. Just enjoy your latte. Wear your UGGS and your leggings (maybe when it's not so hot outside). Live your life and ignore the naysayers.

4. Dump an actual cup of sugar down your throat.

Oh wait...you're probably going to do that.

Or if you want less sugar, order it with less syrup. A tall, grande, and venti come with three, four, and five pumps of syrup respectively (six pumps in a venti iced). Each sauce pump can be up to 0.72 ounces and when it adds up, that's a lot of syrup in the bottom of your drink. Adjust however you see necessary.

5. Try it in a Caramel Apple Spice.

The apple juice is already sweet as is, but I've heard that people like to order a Caramel Apple spice with 1-2 pumps of pumpkin spice for that extra fall flavor.

6. Get it while it lasts.

Because of course when it's gone, it's gone for the year, and many baristas will be more than happy to tell you when they're out of it at their location.