Optimism is Strength

Optimism is Strength

My biggest wish is that we do not let the “might," “could" and “should” purchase the positive thoughts in our minds

203
Optimism is Strength

My title is vague, I know. Having hope that things will work out seems to sound pretty nice, huh? However, I feel like there are several occasions in our lives when optimism just doesn’t seem to enter our minds. Sure, it’s easier to be optimistic about a rainy day on the beach, yet it’s difficult to deal with the rainy days of life. I challenge you to find that optimism and hold onto it. As cliché as that sounds, worrying won’t solve anything. Here are just a few ways to be optimistic, not pessimistic.

Declare a positive statement. As crazy as this sounds, I challenge you to declare something positive about whatever situation you’re facing. Whether it is something as small as a flat tire or something as hard as an illness, let some of the first things that leave your mouth be positive. You are in control of your own thoughts, but only if you want to be. Take control and be optimistic.

Shy away from worst-case scenarios. Coming from a college student who is about to enter her final year of school (When did that happen, exactly?) worst-case scenarios have been my forte. Whether I’m calculating my grades (Don’t worry, Mom and Dad.), or simply stressing about what the future has to hold, worst-case scenarios can enter my mind as though my brain is the doorway to a department store on Black Friday. With that being said, I challenge all of us to shy away from those thoughts in our minds. Worrying won’t make your grades higher, give you the job you want, or give you the exact results you want at your next doctor’s appointment. Am I saying it’s not okay to worry? Absolutely not. We’re human. I’m saying don’t let it consume you. Immediately gravitate your mind toward positive thoughts and tell your worst-case scenario idea to get lost!

It is never as bad as it seems. I cannot repeat this enough. There is always someone that has it worse than you do. Even during the worst of times, someone else is dealing with a tragedy. Keep hope that good days are near. This too, shall pass, if you will. Playing the victim will only reflect your character, and I’m going to try my best to say this without being harsh, pity parties do not appeal to many. Face tragic days with integrity. Do not let something that “might” happen or “could” happen cause you to believe the worst. Above all, remember that victimizing yourself is a sign of weakness. I believe that we were created to be too strong not succumb to worry, doubt, negativity, and false hope.

I do not want to discourage those of you going through dark days that seem as though they will never brighten. It’s okay to feel overwhelmed, scared, worried, heartache, and fearful. My only hope is that you will not let these thoughts take over all the good around you. My biggest wish is that we do not let the “might”, “could”, and “should” purchase the positive thoughts in our minds. I challenge you to have thoughts of hope. I challenge you to have words of thanks. Lastly, I challenge you to refuse to be the victim. For selfish thoughts are the weakest of all.