Open Race: Who are the Candidates for the 2016-17 MVP?

15
Sporting News

While the superteam, Warriors have assembled in Oakland could threaten many record books this year, they could be a victim of their own talent when it comes to the NBA's 2016-17 MVP race. Kevin Durant and Steph Curry are likely to split the vote for Golden State, leaving the race for the 2016-17 NBA MVP wide open. Some familiar faces and names will be in tight competition to earn one of the NBA's most coveted awards.

LeBron James

Any time you're talking about the most valuable player in the league, it starts with the best basketball player on the planet. LeBron's case for the MVP is pretty simple: he'll be the best player on the best team in the Eastern Conference and without him, Cleveland would probably struggle to come near a top-3 seed even in the league's weaker conference. However, detractors say that James will be hurt by the fact that he tends to coast through the regular season and sit out games to stay fresh for the Cavs playoff run. Coasting aside, James will still put up something like 25 points, 7 rebounds, and 7 assists so expect to hear his name in the MVP conversation all season long.

Russell Westbrook

23.5 points, 7.8 rebounds, and 10.4 assists per game. Russell Westbrook put up Oscar Robertson-esque numbers for the Thunder last season and that was with Kevin Durant on his team. Now, Westbrook has complete control and free reign in Billy Donovan's offense and the numbers that result could be historic. Westbrook's MVP case could be hurt by the fact the Thunder might be fighting for a 6-8 seed in the West but if Westbrook ends up averaging a triple-double it might not matter.

James Harden

After putting up 29 points, 6.1 rebounds, and 7.5 assists per game last year, Harden somehow got snubbed from all three All-NBA teams. After the hiring of coach Mike D'Antoni and subsequent switch of Harden to point guard, the Rockets offense is set to be one of the league's best this year. However, their play on the other end of the court could hold them back. Just look at the Rocket's season opener, where they lost to the young Lakers 120-114 despite 34 points, 8 rebounds and 17 assists (!!!) from Harden. If the Rockets can sure up the leaks on defense they have a chance to return to the upper tier of the Western Conference this year. Either way, Harden's name will be in the MVP conversation as long as he puts up video game numbers like he did on Wednesday night.

Kawhi Leonard

Coming off two straight Defensive Player of the Year awards, no one can question Leonard's proficiency on that side of the ball. However, people might not know how much Leonard has improved on the offensive end. Leonard put everyone on notice opening night as he put up a career-high 35 points in the Spurs 129-100 decimation of Golden State. Leonard might be the best two-way player in the league and as the Spurs transition out of the Tim Duncan era, he'll lead the way for a team that is sure to be among the West's elite this season.

Damian Lillard

It seems like Lillard has been underrated his whole career. Despite averaging career highs in points (25.1) and assists (6.8) per game last season, Lillard was once again snubbed from the All-Star game. After leading Portland to a surprising number four seed and appearance in the Western Conference Semifinals, Lillard is looking to show why he's one of the best point guards in the NBA. He's opened this season averaging 34 points, 9.5 rebounds, and 4.5 assists per game. If he maintains his current pace and leads the Blazers to another top-four finish in the West, he should be in the thick of the MVP hunt.

Anthony Davis

Through all the injuries, it can be easy to forget how good Anthony Davis really is. On Wednesday night, he reminded everyone with an absurd stat line: 50 points, 16 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 blocks, and 7 steals. It's hard to argue with numbers like that. The Pelicans, of course, lost the game. The biggest thing preventing Davis from being a runaway MVP favorite is the mediocrity of the New Orleans Pelicans. However, if they can get their act together and make the playoffs, Davis' numbers should put him in the MVP conversation and maybe even the driver's seat.