An Open Letter To My Younger Self

An Open Letter To My Younger Self

Always keep dreaming, Little One.

34
An Open Letter To My Younger Self

Dear Little Me,

There are so many things that I have learned over the years, and I think it's about time that you hear them.

First off, it is not up to you to carry everyone's burdens. Make sure that you are your first priority. Always be kind, compassionate, and loving towards those that enter your life, but keep in mind that their problems are not yours. It is not your job to repair what cannot be fixed.

Being a people pleaser is OK, just never let it get in the way of your happiness. Do not listen to the negativity that people will throw at you. It is your choice and your right to have all of the happiness that this world allows. So don't let anyone take it from you.

Also, know that the entire world is yours, and it is your choice what you want to do with it. Do everything. Join clubs that intimidate you, play sports even if you are the weakest link, and work so hard that you could become president some day. Don't sit back and watch other people take opportunities that could have been yours.

Don't be embarrassed that you're not the same as everyone else. You are beautiful, you are smart, and, most importantly, you are loud. Don't be shy. It's OK. Loud is remarkable. It is your voice and passion that will move mountains. It is your voice that may have saved a life, and that may have given someone a glance of hope. So let it be heard, and never let anyone tell you that it's wrong to speak up. They just wish they had the courage to do so themselves.

This one is important: it is OK to cry. Life throws things at you that you won't be expecting, and it is bad to hold in your disappointments and your sorrows. Crying over them doesn't make you weak, it shows that you have courage. Leaving yourself vulnerable for just an instant shows that you are human; that you care. Don't hold it inside because things will only get worse. It's OK! Let it out.

Dream. Just one word that can change the world. Anything can happen. You have no idea the hopes and dreams you will grow to have! Dream that you can change the world. Dream that you can make every person you pass on the street smile. Dream that someday you will have the job of your dreams. Dream that you can be the best! Never let anyone tell you that you can't or you won't. Prove them wrong. Everyone that makes you feel like you aren't worth it. They don't know who they're talking about.

And let me just tell you that someday, all of your biggest dreams will come true! How do I know? Well, your parents are happier than ever, the relationship you've always dreamed of having with your sister is growing to be true, and your best friend (though miles away) is still forever and always by your side; not to mention new friendships so strong that you fight like family, and old friends that are still loyally by your side.

The most important lesson I could ever impart to you is this: keep your head up, and don't let anyone stand in the way of your dreams. Life is too short to ask, "What if?" Take every opportunity that comes your way, and prove everyone that told you you couldn't that you can and you have. Just stay strong. Time moves on, and there is always a better tomorrow.

Stay strong, little one. You will do great things.

Love you.

Forever and always.