Open Letter to those who Struggle with a Chronic Illness

576

A chronic illness is any type of illness that is serious and long-lasting. People who struggle with chronic illnesses experience pain or some type of discomfort nearly every day, even though they may appear to be fine. Chronic illnesses affect approximately 40% of Americans and sometimes there is no known cure. Often chronic illnesses are invisible, such as POTS or Colitis. These invisible illnesses are very difficult for people to deal with because others cannot see the pain that they are constantly experiencing. No matter what disease someone is struggling with, chronic illnesses are serious and those who struggle with them are some of the strongest people out there.

Dear friend with a chronic illness,

I know every day is a struggle for you. Even getting out of bed in the morning is a huge task that requires you to find energy within yourself. I know that sometimes it feels as if your world is collapsing and it is not even worth it to keep fighting. Your body is at war with you and you don't know if you will ever win. You often feel defeated and hopeless. You're exhausted from constantly trying to stay strong and pretending that you're okay when really all you want to do is give up. I know it isn't easy. But I also know that you are stronger than whatever illness you are dealing with. Don't let this illness define you and tell you who you can and cannot be. Just because your body may require a little more attention than others, doesn't mean you can't live a full life. Don't let your medical issues keep you from being happy. I know that you may experience pain much more than other people do, but this only makes you stronger. Keep fighting and never give up. It is possible to enjoy life and be happy, even with a chronic illness. You can and will do great things. Don't you dare let anything stop you. Pay attention to your body and give yourself a break when you need it, but make sure to keep reminding yourself how truly strong you are. I know that there are many things that you cannot control, and that probably scares you, but you have to remember that you are doing the best you can. You are stronger than whatever comes your way. You are amazing. You are inspiring. You are resilient.

Sincerely,

Someone who cares <3