An Open Letter To Those Who Doubted And Hurt Me

"You ain't really f**k with me way back then girl, how bout now? Cause I'm up right now and you suck right now." -Drake.

179
Getty Images

To the ones who have doubted and hurt me,

Hey, wtf man. Why do you feel the need to knock me down? I would love some answers, but instead I'd rather push that aside and actually just thank you.

Thank you to those who told me I wasn't smart enough.

Getting told that I didn't have the brains to be getting the grades that I got, really made me doubt myself. Getting accused of cheating because I was getting good grades with my condition, really damaged my self-esteem. I started truly believing that maybe I was stupid. Comparing myself to peers who were "smarter than me." You know what though, thank you. Thank you for letting me hit my lowest of lows. If you hadn't, I wouldn't have been able to snap myself out of it and push myself to work the hardest I have ever worked. I worked hard not only proving to you that I am smart enough, but proving to myself that I am. I may not be the smartest person in the world, but I am smart enough to accomplish anything I set my mind to.

Thank you to those who told me I wasn't "good looking" enough.

Being the self conscious human that I am, hearing others tell you the flaws in your look, crushes you. It doesn't just bother me for a few days, what they say constantly replay in my mind for years and years. I constantly said no to things because I was afraid of my appearance. "Will I look stupid doing that?" "Maybe I shouldn't eat in front of them or they would think 'Oh that's why she looks like that!'" You made me feel less valued as a person because of how I look. I used to think whenever someone saw me their first reaction was to judge me because I was "too fat" "too short" and so much more. You've even managed to make me feel bad about being a certain race. So I guess thank you for making me think that way, because then I wouldn't have been able to grow as a person and learn how wrong that perception is. Cutting you from my life and meeting other people showed me that only part of the people in this world care about looks. There are people out there that don't care about what you look like. They like me just the way I am. It teaches me that if other's like me the way I am, why don't I like me the way that I am too?

Thank you to those who told me I wasn't strong enough to handle hard situations.

I'm not strong enough? I have 5 illnesses that act up whenever they want. I have no control over the symptons I get with them. Even though I have these illnesses and constantly am in pain, feel nauseous and have no energy, I go to a great University, I've made the Dean's list both semesters that I have been there, I'm in different organizations and clubs, I participate in huge school events, I go out with friends, I deal with ignorant individuals that demean me for being who I am and most importantly I am living and making it. You telling me that I am "not strong enough" is complete bull. Don't you dare tell me I am not strong enough. You don't know my life. You don't know what strength and power I have in me. Thank you for letting me show you how wrong you are about me.

Thank you to those who tell me I am wasting my life.

I might not know exactly what I am going to do with my life right now, but that doesn't me I am "wasting my life." I've told many people that I might go into Psychology as my major and I often get the response, "What are you going to do with a Psychology degree? It's useless in the real world." Excuse me, no matter what major someone chooses, it is not useless. Sure, in the end it may not make the most money that one could be making, but it certainly does not mean it's a waste of time in their life. Everything has a purpose. These majors aren't set in stone for the outcome of our lives either. There are so many things you can turn your major into. Now, thank you for telling me that I am "wasting my life" because when I am older and flourishing at whatever I choose to do, I can be proud of how I didn't listen to your negativity. If and when I go into psychology, maybe one day when I am officially a professional, you could come in to see me so we can discuss how wrong you were about things.

Thank you to the "friends" that were toxic to my life.

Hey, how are you guys doing? Still calling people your friend, yet talking bad behind their back and undermining them? Probably, but I would like to thank you for making an appearance in my life. Thank you for showing me what not to look for in a friend. Thank you for also letting me drop you out of my life. I never realized how good it would feel to not have a "friend" make you feel bad about yourself. If you hadn't treated me the way you did, I would've never known how a real friendship would feel like. I would've kept thinking that it was ok that my "friend" treated me with the amount of discomfort and judgment as our "friendship" gave me. I wouldn't have gotten to learn how good it feels to actually be excited to see my friends. With you I was constantly thinking, "I hope I have fun with them this time unlike most times." Thank you for making me realize that friendship isn't a task that has to be done, but a privilege and blessing. I know that I have grown as an individual now that you've left my life.

Thank you to those who've assumed the worse of me from things you've heard about me.

Coming from a small town, everyone knows everyone. When my illnesses first started acting up, I didn't have a solid diagnoses and we didn't know how to treat my symptoms. I started missing more and more school because of how bad things were happening. Everyone started speculating why I was always gone. I heard many different theories and most were not good. I wanted to thank the people who made up those theories and those who believed the worst of them. You've taught me that not everyone will get the real story right about you and that's ok. It doesn't matter what they think about you and your story. Even with them all speculating, you are doing amazing and getting things accomplished. You guys are the ones who have taught me that no matter what people perceive of you, the only thing that matters is what you perceive of yourself. You are the only one that really knows your own story and as long as you are happy with your own true story, who cares what the other people assume of you!

There are so many other thing's I can thank the people who have tried to bring me down for, but I think most get the point. Despite your valiant efforts, I don't regret to inform you that you have failed. In fact, your negativity just drove my ambitions higher and higher. I've got you guys to thank for part of my motivation to become who I want to be. Without you, I wouldn't have had to face and overcome as many challenges as I did, but what's life without challenges? Your doubt has made me a stronger and more powerful individual. I still have a lot of my life to go, but I thought that I would let you know that you can retire now. You've done a great job, but your negativity is no longer working or needed. Since you'll be retired, maybe try visiting a place called Positivity and encouragement. I've heard great things about them!

Sincerely,

The one you won't get to break