An Open Letter to my Big Brother

To My Big Brother

Because I have you as my brother, I'll always have a best friend.

471
To My Big Brother
Sophie Rudloff

This past week, I visited my older brother in Boston.

He has begun the "adulting" stage in his life, and I could not be more proud of him. However, it is difficult for me to swallow the thought that our relationship has met a new benchmark. The idea of siblings is that you grow up together, but it seems that my brother has officially grown up. I so selfishly want to hold on to the chapter in our lives where we shared a bathroom and argued about the hair I left on the shower wall, but I am excited to embrace these new times and continue to be his biggest fan. This one is for you, Shane.

As different as we are, you embody everything that I'd like to be. You are my complimentary puzzle piece and will forever model what I believe is the most perfect person. We have gone through every stereotypical sibling stage in the book, and each one we are in is my new favorite. I wouldn't trade the fights, "I hate you's," or Willie belly pinches for anything in the world because, at the end of the day, you have always been my best friend.

Thank you for being a role model.

Sophie Rudloff

You got glasses, so I wanted glasses. You did martial arts, so I wanted to do martial arts. You got frosted tips…yeah, that was all you. Everything you pursued growing up I attempted to follow in hopes of becoming more like you. At the time, I thought I was succeeding. Little did I know following in your footsteps would shape who I was as a unique individual. As I stated earlier, we could not be more different. Looking up to you as a role model allowed me to carve my own path with inspiration from your wonderful qualities and successes.

Thank you for being my protector.

Sophie Rudloff

You let me make my own mistakes but were always there to make me feel safe afterward. Whether it was being there for me when I felt like there was nobody else, telling off guys who hit on your 16-year-old sister or making sure I got home from a party safely in the middle of the night, you were always there. In the movies, there are the stereotypical older brothers who beat up anyone who messed with their little sisters. Luckily, I didn't need that, even though I know you would. You are my real life superhero, no matter how far away you are from me.

Thank you for including me.

Sophie Rudloff

I know I was your annoying little shadow growing up. I wanted to hang out with you and your friends, and I wanted to be included in every exciting aspect of your life. I know for a fact you didn't always want me there, but you shrugged it off and always included me. Whether it was letting me come across the street with you to play with the neighbors or letting me ruin your prestige on your Call Of Duty profile, you'd do it. I now acknowledge the sacrifices you made for me and appreciate them more than you know.

Thank you for having such wonderful friends.

Sophie Rudloff

I am lucky that you have made so many amazing friends that we consider family. Because of your good judgment and magnetic personality, many of your friends have become like older brothers and sisters to me. This has become such a blessing now that I'm at school and know I have people watching over me even though you are twelve hours away. Obviously, none of them are as awesome as you, but they do come close.

Thank you for understanding.

Sophie Rudloff

As I've said multiple times now, you and I aren't much alike. We've been through different experiences over the years that have molded us separately. Despite that, you have always been understanding of me and my feelings. We react to the same situation in distinct ways, but you take the time to acknowledge me and who I am. I know that whenever times are tough, we can sit down and talk about our thoughts and ideas and you will be just as open to mine as I am to yours.

Thank you for all of the memories.

Sophie Rudloff

From moments as small as brushing my teeth next to you in the morning to moments as big as watching you graduate from our shared alma mater, every second with you has been worthwhile. It is hard that I now have to reminisce on our fun times living together and look forward to our next times reunited, but it makes it that much more exciting anticipating the new memories we will make. I am so proud of you and cannot wait to witness all of the other lives you influence just as you did mine.

I love you, Shaner.