The Pros And Cons Of Having Siblings

The Pros And Cons Of Having Siblings

Say hello to my mini-me...

21229
The Pros And Cons Of Having Siblings
Ellie Swiger

With Labor Day weekend in our recent memories, I'm reminded that having siblings is both a blessing and a curse that not everyone gets to experience. I'm lucky enough to have four younger siblings, and they all make my life infinitely more interesting (though not always in a good way). Here are some pros and cons of having siblings that not everyone might realize:

Pro: They're built-in best friends.

You've known your siblings for longer than you've known anyone else, and you're like, required to love them. You were never without someone to play with as a kid because your sibling was there, and as you get older, you always have someone to talk to or ask for advice (or to go like your Instagram picture).

Con: They're not required to be friendly.

Just because they love you doesn't mean they'll always be nice to you. My siblings have for years talked about starting a website called "www.ellieisfat.com" and are always the first to make fun of a bad haircut or a weird habit.

Pro: They teach you responsibility.

Being a sibling means you have someone looking up to you as an example at all times. You have to be responsible for them and what they learn, or else you'll end up being associated with weird siblings. And no one wants that.

Con: You sometimes take the blame for things you haven't done.

Being responsible means that even if it wasn't your fault, it was. So if someone gets hurt while you're babysitting your siblings, you're the one to blame.

Pro: You always have someone to hang out with.

Bored? There are other kids who live less than 10 feet from you. It's like college, but where just strolling into someone's room to say "hi" while not wearing pants isn't weird.

Con: You don't always get to do what you want.

Agreeing on what game to play when you're with a group of five people of ages spread over 12 years is almost impossible. As the oldest, I almost always have to give in and end up playing games designed for ages 6 to 10. And don't get me started on TV shows; I've always been a hit with kids I babysit because I know the words to every theme song Disney Channel Junior plays.

Pro: They'll always have your back.

I know my siblings will always support me, and I'll always support them. I want what's best for them, and I want them to be happy. Having people that are always looking out for you is the best feeling in the world.

Though my siblings used to drive me crazy, I'm becoming more and more thankful for them as the years go on, and I couldn't imagine my life without them.