An Open Letter To The Victims Of Sexual Assault

A reminder that those worth keeping in your life are here for you.

52
Thought Catalog

4 out of 5 rape victims subsequently suffer from chronic physical or psychological conditions. About 20 million out of 112 million women (18.0%) in the United States have been raped during their lifetime.

81% of women who experienced rape, stalking, or physical violence by an intimate partner reported significant short- or long-term impacts. We know what you have been through. Luckily, you have confided in us something that deeply saddens us. It frustrating to feel like there is nothing that we can do to help you. But the most important thing we can do is be there for you and encourage you to help yourself, which may be the most important thing for you moving forward from this.

As much as it pains us to watch you negatively deal with these issues through depression, alcohol, or sex, it’s important for you to know that we are here for you. While we have not been through what you have, we know why you feel the way you do. It’s terrible that anyone has feel the way you have. And we may be more angry at who did this to you than you are. But there’s a few things we want you to know. If you’re worried your friends will just leave you because you have a lot of shit you have going on, anyone that is worth being in your life will stick by you through everything. Never will we just decide to leave you to deal with these issues on your own.

Unfortunately most who go through this do not receive justice, which could be the hardest part to deal with. This leaves victims with a fear of seeing those who abused them. We will be here to talk to you. We will be hear to listen if you see that person. It’s normal to be flooded with the same emotions you felt the last time you saw them. We want you to know that we believe you. Those who are worth keeping in your life will believe you. We will never ask you if you’re “over it” yet. We understand that this isn’t something you just simply get over and move on from. We will never blame you for this. We will never depict the situation and tell you it was your fault or what you could have done differently.

The most important thing we want you to know, it’s never too late to get help. Speak to a professional therapist, they are trained to help you in the ways that those of us who love you can’t. For immediate help after a sexual assault, contact the National Sexual Assault hotline at 1-800-656-HOPE (4673), they provide professionals who will listen and offer you next steps you can take. Most high schools have guidance counselors and colleges have professionals on campus willing to speak with you.This is not your fault. You are not alone. You are important. You are loved. Find the people who will make you feel safe and surround yourself with them. Most importantly, never stop being who you are.