An Open Letter to Soda

Dear you,

This is an open letter to you, my refreshing bubbly friend. A letter to the ice cold beverage that sits, fizzing away, next to my lunch. You look so appetizing as your bubbles dance their way to the surface.

Your sweet and addictive taste has been paired with many memories: Fourth of July fireworks booming as you quench my thirst, the crack of a can while watching football games with my dad, or even the sound of carbonation being set free while I study for finals. I even have spent hours at work placing your glass-bottled-body on shelves at the most amazing soda pop and candy shop that has ever touched Tahoe's tourist town. You have been beside me on vacations, road trips, and even comforted my upset stomach a time or two. Memories that last a lifetime, but what good are these, if you are hiding things like sugary syrup and chemicals I can't even pronounce.

I wanted to write this to officially say goodbye, as you are no longer invited to join me anymore. Cancel your reservations for my cup holders, my coasters, and my backpack, as you will need to find someone else to take you. You can say our friendship has been long and great, but in reality, it has been toxic. Today is the day I put my foot down and decide that I am better off without you. My teeth, liver, stomach, and heart are overjoyed today as you will no longer be able to poison them with your high fructose corn syrup and fake coloring. Diseases like metabolic syndrome, diabetes, heart disease,osteoporosis, asthma, and dissolved tooth enamel will no long be threats to me. Today I choose a better, healthier lifestyle. A lifestyle without you!

Our time together has been grand, but today it comes to an end.

Cheers to you,

Montrashay Worley