benefits of having an older sibling

Growing Up With An Older Brother: Perk Or Pitfall?

An inside scoop on the benefits of having an older brother.

1738
Sandy Faletto

Like many other girls my age, I dreamt of having an older sister when I was younger. I mean, who wouldn't love a lifelong best friend, free hammy downs, and a chick flick movie watching partner? However, as I grew older, I found the many benefits of growing up with an older brother and learned that they aren't just a free chauffeur to school or there to laugh at your goofy outfit choices in middle school. Although having an older brother comes with occasional bickering and overprotection, I wouldn't want it any other way.

When my brother, Jeremy's freshman year of college came around and I had to say the dreaded goodbye, I was sad and didn't know how to handle being an only child. With the mixed emotions of not having him around and the fact that my family didn't get a puppy to replace the emptiness in the house, I came to the conclusion that there are many perks of having an older brother.

Sandy Faletto

Having my 21-year-old brother test the waters first and lead the way was a blessing growing up and still is to this day. I get the chance to learn from his actions and follow his footsteps as I enter adulthood. He gives the best advice and the most honest feedback, especially when it comes to the been-there-done-that situations. For instance, knowing when and how to fill out college applications made my senior year way less stressful. Receiving tips and tricks from someone who has been through similar situations before you is very beneficial. For example, because we are currently 450 miles away from one another, being only a facetime/phone call away from him is convenient when it comes to asking for college advice or any advice in general.

Those who have brothers tend to become good fighters and learn the importance of standing up for yourself. Looking back now, the MMA-like wrestling matches my brother and I used to get into not only taught me self-defense but how to be tough. With that being said, older siblings are usually the ones who take the blame. Although that changed as we grew older, I definitely dodged a few bullets thanks to Jeremy. Older brothers teach you how to roll with the punches (literally), not take life too seriously, and know it's okay to laugh at yourself.

Sandy Faletto

Speaking of laughter, no one else will make you laugh until tears stream down your face other than your brother. There is a special bond between a younger sister and her older brother. Whether it be a vine reference or an inside joke from years ago, Jeremy never fails to make me laugh unconditionally.

Not only can you count on older brothers to make your day, but they also have good taste. When talking about Jeremy, without a doubt, he has the best taste in music. For the times when I am sick of the same couple songs on repeat, having someone who can recommend songs comes in handy. There is never a dull moment listening to anyone from "Car Seat Headrest" to "Hippocampus" when on a long car ride with Jeremy as the aux.

Gabrielle Faletto

Being the younger sister, I became way too familiar with all the pranks pulled on me, but on the bright side, it was a great way for me to learn the value of patience. Sometimes we encounter difficult scenarios in life and being taught not to get frustrated easily at a young age has made a significant impact.

Jeremy has always been someone I can lean on and talk to about anything. With him being almost like a 3rd parent, it makes me feel constantly safe and protected. He will go to any extent just to make me smile. No matter what I'm going through, Jeremy will always be present and ready to take on any obstacle standing in my way. It's like having your own personal bodyguard around at all times.

Whether your older brother annoys the heck out of you or always finds a way to embarrass you, they will always have your back no matter what and you'll never have to go through anything alone. So with that being said, thank you, Jeremy, for making me proud to have an older brother like you.

Stephen Faletto