An Open Letter To My Person, Who I Let Walk Away

You were my person, I hope you find your person too.

611
bjstlh

Shouldn't this be weird?

Shouldn't this be the letter that brings back all of the heartache and tears?

If you had asked me to write this six months ago I wouldn't have had the the ability to sit here and type this. Talking about you would have left me feeling sorry for myself, broken, and it would have left me missing what once was.

Not now though.

This letter isn't an "oh God I love you" take on us in an attempt to make you realize it was supposed to be us in the end.

You and me. Happily ever after.

Now, this isn't to say that I don't love you. In fact I have never loved someone as truly, as madly, or as deeply as I loved, and still love you.

I'm not sure if this flame will ever die, but I'm content with that. You will always have a special place in my heart. If you ever need it, you'll always have a home with me.

You loved me when I thought myself to be in ruins. You brought back what I had let myself lose.

I laughed with you, cried with you and grew with you. You taught me so much about love.

It certainly wasn't love at first sight, in fact I thought we were going to be a one night stand. But as the days went by we just kept talking, kept the dates going, you introduced me to Game of Thrones. (I'll forever be thankful for that by the way!)

I can still recount the exact moment I knew I loved you.

We were in your living room and you were playing your guitar. You were replaying this same rift over and over until you could play it near perfect, and the moment you smiled to yourself because you had done it, I was done for it.

I knew I was in love with you.

A couple months went by before I actually said it out loud. I thought I had freaked you out. A few nights later, though, after a night out at the bar, you took me outside and told me you loved me too. Again, I was done for it.

You became my everything.

We dated for just over a year, with a few months of seeing each other before we decided to be official. Distance was such a huge aspect of our relationship.

I was greedy with your love, you were reserved with it. Maybe it was the fear that we wouldn't work out.

Whatever it was that ended us, I'm still so happy to have had that time with you.

You're my person. The one who knows me best.

The one that has the power to break me over and over again.

You won't though, thats not who you are.

Its been 8 months now since we walked away from each other.

The arguments became too frequent.

The pettiness came out.

The stabs at one another became too deep.

The distance got the best of us.

I hope you know, though, that you are still the love of my life. You're my best friend.

Luckily, after a while, we were able to come back together on different grounds; as friends. You are one of a kind, someone who is so deserving of a love that sets your soul on fire and leaves you aching for more.

In my perspective, you were a galaxy in human form and I was lucky to get a brief taste of the stars.

As I said you were my person, I hope you find your person too.