To The Person I'll Probably Never See Again

Because sometimes, the finality of goodbyes are too hard to comprehend.

16438
Flickr

To Whom it May Concern,

Sometimes I drive by that gas station and I think about how you always used to stop and get your favorite candy bar. I walk through the gym and I remember all the times your voice was the only one I heard cheering for me. I pass by that bridge and I think about the moment I fell in love again. Sometimes I think about how you used to be the person I couldn't go a day without, but now you're nothing but an old memory.

It's almost funny; while all of this happening I never thought about the day it would be over. I never thought about what the last words I would say to you would be. I never thought about the last time I'd hug you or get to hear your laugh. The sad thing is that it wasn't even a subtle transition. Our relationship didn't slowly fade over time. It was just one day you were here and the next day you weren't.

With you it was different. It wasn't just about what was on the outside anymore. I opened up and showed you sides of me that no one else had ever seen, and you told me things I kept deep in my heart. With you, it was easy. You gave me courage when I was weak and confidence when I didn't even know who I was. Time after time, you forgave my mistakes and after everything we'd been through you still considered me family. You taught me the difference between infatuation and love. In any relationship you are going to see the other person's flaws, and with infatuation you choose to ignore them. With love you choose to embrace them. I didn't love you despite your flaws, I loved you because of your flaws.

What most of us don't realize is the number of people in our lives who have come and gone. We don't ever fully comprehend how much those people have shaped our lives and who we are. Looking back, I don't even want to imagine the person I'd be if I hadn't met you. You taught me a lot of things: how to love myself, how to be stronger by leaning on others and how to let go of control and just live in the moment. You taught me things I could never thank you enough for.

Everyone who comes into your life serves a purpose. Some people come for a lifetime and some people come for a season. Sadly, your season has passed and it is time for me to let you go.You're not the first person I'll probably never see again and you won't be the last. People come and go in our lives; it's a fact we can't avoid. I'm just sad that it had to be you.

In life some things are completely out of our control, but I take responsibility for what happened to us and I accept it. I never wanted things to be like this. Somewhere along the way it just stopped working, and I'm sorry I couldn't fix it. My only regret is that in the end I couldn't give you what you deserved.

When it came down to it, I just wasn't your person and you weren't mine. I hope you know that this doesn't take away or change anything that we had. No matter where you are, you will always have a piece of my heart. You gave me exactly what I needed, and I gave you exactly what you needed: a closer shot at finding the one. I just want you to know how thankful I am for that.

You might consider this a goodbye, but honestly, I don't believe in goodbyes. Ultimately, I am not in charge of what happens in our lives. God managed to make our paths cross once--He might do it again. Until then, I wish you nothing but love and happiness. If you ever need me, I'll always be there for you. To me, you will never be just an old memory. You're so much more than that.

I just hope that one day if you pass that bridge, you'll think of me.

Love always,

The Girl You'll Probably Never See Again