To The People Who Have Stayed

Last week, my article consisted of ranting/complaining/venting or whatever you wanna call it, about all the people who have abruptly exited my life in the last year. I discussed how I have been coping with it, and am still learning effective ways to deal with this drastic change.

When some of the most significant changes in your life also occur at the time you are transitioning from high school to college, it can take a toll on you. Throughout these past few months, I believe I have been suppressing many of my emotions towards the changes I have been experiencing.

Every so often, all the emotions hit me at once. I just think to myself, "wow," because it is still difficult for me to comprehend at times, and it probably will stay that way for a remainder of time. It makes me feel pathetic because I should have moved on by now, right?

However, it also allows me to appreciate all those still in my life.

I truly do not know what I would do without the people who have remained by my side not only through the past few months, but for the past four, or even thirteen years.

This is a letter of appreciation to you all. You know who you are.

Thank you for listening to me, for hearing me out when everyone else seemed to tune me out.

Thank you for standing by me when everyone seemed to turn their backs.

Thank you for making me laugh so hard I cry.

Thank you for turning tears into smiles.

Thank you for being a voice of reason, a listening ear, and a warm hug.

Thank you for being a constant in my life, and ones I know I can truly depend on.

Thank you for confirming that I'm not crazy.

Thank you for reminding me that I did not deserve this bullshit, but also what I can learn from all of it.

Thank you for validating my feelings and emotions, but also keeping me grounded, stressing that I'm not always right, and teaching me to perceive situations differently.

Thank you for keeping me going.

That is a lot of thank yous, but I know I do not get to say all of this enough to the people I love.

* * *

You all are more than just the people who have stayed, the people whom I call my friends, you are the sisters I never had (ya know, being an only child and all...)

Although we may fight at times, know that you allow me to discover more about myself every day and bring sunshine into my life.

Whether we have watched each other grow up, or survived high school together, know that I love and appreciate you always. It is more than you will ever know. I am incredibly grateful that our paths crossed.

I only hope that I have been able to be all of this for you as well.

If not, let me know, because I want to be better.

I don't want to lose anyone else — especially all of you.