An Open Letter To Parents Back Home

An Open Letter To Parents Back Home

All of things that we don't always put into words-- the things we forget to mention on the phone.

65
An Open Letter To Parents Back Home
Morgan Hill

To Moms and Dads around the world:

You cried dropping us off for our first day of pre-school. You cried dropping us off to our first karate lessons and first dance classes. You cried when we started high school and again as we walked across the stage at graduation. You cried as you said goodbye after moving us into our new dorm room during our first year of college. You cried when we decided to travel. And when we decide to move out, start a career, and start our own family, you will probably cry again. But Moms and Dads around the world... I'm here to tell you that it's okay.

I can imagine that having your baby (or your babies) far from home is not easy. You've been by our sides since day one. You were there to rock us to sleep, to rub our backs when we had a bad dream, to put band-aids on our boo-boos and to make sure everything was alright. You brought us tissues when we were sick and hot cocoa when the weather got cold. You sang to us to calm our nerves and brought us into your warm embrace when we were having a bad day. Moms and Dads, please hear me out. Even when we are now hundreds of miles apart, you are still right there beside us.

You have taught us to take care of ourselves; you have taught us to take care of others. Every day when we wake up and start our morning routine, you are a lot closer than you think. Some days we get up, make our beds, brush our teeth, iron our clothes and eat a balanced breakfast. Those days we think you would be proud. Other days we wake up cranky, tired, throw on sweat pants like a slob and rush to Dunkin' Donuts for coffee with too much sugar. Those days we think that you wouldn't be so proud. Moms and Dads around the world, there is not a single day that goes by that we don't think, "Oh wow, I am turning into my mother," or, "Oh boy, that was definitely one of Dad's jokes." Maybe we forget to tell you, but we often talk about you with our friends. We compare favorite homemade foods, holidays, traditions, and even share our favorite family game night stories. Our friends ask about you, Moms and Dads. They want to know what you do for work, who cooks better, who we look more like. We tell stories about our childhood, about our hometowns, and about our memories. When asked about our heroes, it's you, Moms and Dads.

You are important to us, Moms and Dads. We think about you every day. The lessons you have taught us and the morals you have instilled in us shine through our personalities. We have a lot to thank you for, Moms and Dads, you have provided us with so much opportunity (no matter how big or small). Yes, we will probably flee the nest; we will want to explore and experience life as an "adult". We will always come back, Moms and Dads, because believe it or not, we cry when we miss you too.