An Open Letter To All The Girls On Superhero Teams

You Inspire Us All
11

Thank you.

Thank you for simply being there, even if you're just there because of the false truth 'every team needs one girl'. Just being there at all is often inspiration enough.

Thank you for being able to hold your own in a fight and not need any help from the boys. You show us women that we are strong, independent, smart and capable in the face of overwhelming masculinity and testosterone.

Thank you for being in many different forms of media, such as comics, graphic novels, TV shows and movies. The more we see you, the more we'll want to be like you.

Thank you for being characters we can identify with and actually like. Thank you for having depth and not just acting like the 'sex appeal' of the team.

Thank you for being ethnically diverse, as that inspires us all the more.

And thank you for evolving over the years. Some of you went from appearing alongside a team to earning your own solo time in the spotlight. It may have taken a really long time, but it was well worth the wait. Thank you for showing us women that we can stand alone and fend off obstacles with our own tenacity. That we are incredible in our own right.

Thank you.

Examples of 'Only Girls':

Piper - "Storm Hawks" (refer to earlier article to know more about her)

Nova - "Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go! " (I will hopefully write about this in the future)

Mina Murray - The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (the comic, not the poorly-received movie)

Princess Allura - "Voltron Force" (2011 TV series that I might write about)

Wasp/Janet Van Dyne - The Avengers (until Black Widow joined)

Wonder Woman - The Justice League (until Hawkgirl joined)

Feel free to comment and share if you know of any other teams with only one girl.