An Open Letter To A Jackass

An Open Letter To A Jackass

We have the right to be angry and we don't need your permission!

16
An Open Letter To A Jackass
nydailynews.com

The African American Community has a right to be angry. There is no sin in anger when the anger is caused by an event or actions. Jesus himself was angry a few times. The sin comes when there is anger for no reason.

The events that have taken place this past week are no doubt seriously disturbing. Unfortunately, there was a senseless act of murder as an act of revenge for two senseless acts of murder. Too many people have died for no other reason than racial differences. Now, there are opponents to the Black Lives Matter movement voicing disdain. Some are clueless, others are outright bigots. They are collectively racing out of the woodwork in order to point the blame on the Black Lives Matter movement for the tragedy in Texas. Former New York City mayor Rudolph Giuliani has spewed some very disturbing and extremely clueless rhetoric as he too believes if it were not for the Black Lives Matter movement the murders in Texas would not have happened. He believes that the Black Lives Matter Movement is racist.

The media is in the process of ripping Giuliani a new one for the stupid remarks he recently made. The Huffington Post writes that while Giuliani is casting blame on the movement for the events in Texas, he appears lost in trying to understand why America, Blacks in particular, are upset over the recent murders by cops. The article quotes Giuliani during an appearance on MSNBC rationalizing that "the young Black boy killed by another young Black boy is just as dead as a Black boy killed by the police officers." The disconnect with reality displayed in this one statement tells us everything. Former New York City mayor Rudolph Giuliani is not only clueless about race relations, he is clueless of the ongoing plight plaguing minorities in America. Even scarier, he has absolutely no idea whatsoever what the movement Black Lives Matter is all about.

Giuliani like some white Americans may not even be privy to what the rest of America knows, and that is White privilege. If this phenomenon were dissected, researched and understood, then the few like Giuliani, who are opponents of Black Lives Matter, would understand that this movement is more than just marching in the streets every time an innocent African American is murdered by the very police who are supposed to serve and protect. The clueless Giuliani fails to see the irony of this oxymoron. As a politician, he should be well-informed (even if he does not want to admit it) that the majority of the taxes in the United States of America, is paid by the working class. These taxes pay politicians as well as the police department, and surprise, minority households make up the majority of the working class. Follow the math, Giuliani; we Blacks and Hispanics pay the salaries of the very officers that murder innocent youth in our communities as well as the powers that be that keep the murders free. Of course, there will be anger each and every time. Still, revenge and mass murder have never been encouraged, condoned, nor has it ever been the platform for the Black Lives Matter Movement.

Giuliani does not appear to understand the unspoken things that the majority race gets away with. Simple things that are nothing to him resonate as big deals to some Blacks and Hispanics. These small perks subconsciously fester in our minds leading us to understand these very things, although small, distinctly separate the races. This unspoken rule shows us that what is allowable for one race will incarcerate another. There are simple things that minorities watch the majority do, yet dare not attempt. Anyone growing up Black or Hispanic has witnessed some of our White counterparts shouting at their parents or throwing a tantrum in public. We are not allowed. We have all looked at our fellow White Americans bringing dogs or any other animal into a corner store or restaurants greeted with ooohs and awwws. Let a Black person do it and watch the fireworks take place. We have all passed White teenaged rockers smoking (cigarettes, cigars, and marijuana), drinking, and littering in public. If a Black teen does this? Handcuffs will be at the ready. I have witnessed Blacks being kicked off of public transportation because they did not have the fare, only to watch, at the next stop down, a White person get on the very same bus, no money, yet allowed to board using the exact same excuse that was rejected a bus stop ago. These, Mr. Giuliani, are just a few of the hidden perks that are noticed and discussed among people, and no, it is not right, nor is even remotely fair, yet we adjust. Still, we are categorized as criminals.

Just to bring this on home, Mr. Giuliani, in the households of the majority, the rite of passage usually coincides with the "talk." All Americans understand that the "talk" is usually about sex, education, and the future. These young princes and princesses are taught everything they need in order to become a successful member of society. However, in Black and Hispanic households, although the initial talk is the same, we have had to add very serious side bar. The new talk is on how to survive being stopped by the police. Those who oppose Black Lives Matter, I am sure, have never once had to warn their children not argue with police (even if the child is right and the police are "mistaken"). Young White males do not have to make certain that their hands are seen at all times or risk being murdered. I know of some friends who even warn their children to avoid eye contact with a policeman. Of course, we now know to record, record, record (even though, so far, it has done nothing), but I have a feeling things are going to change. Still, these are extreme differences between the races, and why the need for Black Lives Matter. Young Black men, no matter the level of education, the economic status, and position of employment, despite never having a police record, still must subjugate themselves in order to follow these rules. They must embarrassingly behave as if they are guilty because that is what the color of our skin dictates at the moment.

Black Lives Matter is adamant in voicing in truth that very few police officers are racist and the movement condemns any violence whatsoever. Despite condemning any violence, there are still some who are rightfully enraged, as there have been too many instances where these few police officers get away with acting as judge, jury, and executioner. Black Lives Matter understands that these deaths are solely based on the dangerous statistic that Black and Hispanic youth, males in particular, are immediately viewed as criminals. And yes, Mr. Giuliani, things have changed for the better in terms of race, thanks in large part to transparency. Still, you must ask yourself if it is fair that the behavior a young innocent African American or Hispanic must be altered in order to ensure his safety when encountering one of these dangerous few.

I would suggest the reading history of African Americans and Hispanics. As a public figure that is to represent all of us, it may even be important that you brush up on the slave narrative and Hispanic literature. One of my literary heroes, Frederick Douglass, went from slave to statesman. His autobiography, "Life and Times of Fredrick Douglass," details candidly the life of a slave and free man during the mid-1800s. It was advised never to question nor buck the system. He states while describing ways to survive encounters with those in power, that when approached, Blacks should remain calm and answer all questions in a positive manner. They were to tell those in power what they wanted to hear. He writes that when slaves were questioned about the quality of their masters and the subsequent treatment provided, Blacks understood that in order survive the encounter, they needed to "suppress the truth rather than take the consequences of telling it" (Life and Times 41).

What our minority youth is expected to do in order to have a slight chance at surviving an encounter with a racist cop is antiquated. What is expected is no different than the behavior people of color had to adopt during the 1800s in order to survive. Slaves were expected to remain marginalized and subjugate themselves not just at home, but while out running errands for their masters. It was understood that staying alive meant swallowing their pride when questioned on anything from why they are out, from their living conditions and happiness to the treatment they received from their masters. Although innocent, it was understood that to tell the truth led to serious consequences and even death. In order for the slaves as well as free Blacks to circumvent unwarranted punishment they too had conversations amongst themselves and their children and a whispered protocol was put into place in order to emerge from such questioning unscathed. "A still tongue makes a wise head" (Life and Times 41). This old adage still holds true for our young Black and Hispanic youth of today. Meanwhile, a young White person does not have to even worry about such things.

Before you rant again and allow us to witness just how clueless you are, please ask yourself, Giuliani, how angry would you be if you "followed all the rules," made sure your children did as well, yet were still profiled as dangerous. How would you feel making sure your children were extra careful not to create the smallest of infractions all the while watching others with privilege break them on a daily basis? Then ask yourself how you would feel if your children were at risk of death despite following the rules based on the color of their skin. Why not answer this? Why is it that even though White on White crime is no more or less prevalent than Black on Black crime, why is it that the media focuses on Blacks while hiding what happens in White areas? Why is it that even though Whites and Blacks are arrested at equal rates, only the Blacks are prosecuted and sent to jail? Once you can honestly answer these questions, then you will understand the need for the Black Lives Matter movement. It is here to educate. More importantly, Black Lives Matter is what keeps people sane. It is not a reason nor a catalyst for murdering policemen, it is about equality keeping the peace in the face of adversity. Now, go run an' tell DAT!