Open Letter To The Incoming Freshman At LSU

Get ready for the best four years of your life.

101
www.lsu.edu

This is it. Your big day! Just in a short while you will officially be walking the shade inspiring halls, admiring the stately oaks and broad magnolias, and finally calling yourself an LSU Tiger. It honestly is one the most amazing experiences to be so blessed in attending Louisiana State University. I distinctly remember my first day.

I did not know what was acceptable to wear, how much make up to put on, and what I would expect in my classes. Word of advice, don't do what all those people do in movies. It honestly is nothing like that.

You will walk into your first class probably feeling awkward and not knowing where to sit, but where you do chose to sit, there is a reason why. The other way is if you decide to take your first class with a friend, it is definitely easier to walk into class because you feel more comfortable. But, I did not do that.

Yes, at first I regretted it because I thought everyone else would have people they knew sitting next to them and no one would talk to me, but that was not the case at all. You should not be so afraid to put yourself out there, because it is not a bad pathway to take your first year of college. It teaches you how to grow some confidence and do things you would not have done in high school.

You are at a new stage in your life where a lot of people do not know who you are or where you come from, so you can write your own story. I know it sounds cheesy, but it is true. You can make whatever you want of yourself.

So, maybe it will not be the first day you make a friend in class, but at least put effort in, because you never know what can happen.

Also, joining a club or organization before school actually starts is a great idea. Having people you know around campus is a great asset because it makes you feel more comfortable walking around a campus of 30,000 or so students.

College is something where you can join or be anything you want, so do not be afraid to express yourself. Sure it might feel weird at first and that is very normal, but after making that decision, you will be happy you did.

A lot of people say they can spot our freshmen on campus because they are either looking at their maps trying to find their buildings for class or they just look completely lost. It is somewhat true, but completely normal. Everyone feels somewhat lost when they first start a new school with a new environment. And the best thing to do beforehand so you do not look like a typical freshman is prepare!

Go over where your classes are and practice walking to them. Know where to park and how long it takes to walk to the buildings. That will save you the embarrassment of people knowing what your classification is.

Lastly, of course, just have fun. You are going to college to get an education, but also to experience a different environment and meet different kinds of people. It will change you a lot, but for the better.

So, do not freak out about things that seems so HUGE right now, because after college they certainly won't matter. Do not be afraid to ask questions, not even seniors on campus know everything, so do not feel stupid. Be brave and have some confidence. It can go a long way.

And do not forget that you are a tiger and they are the most ferocious animals. So prove you are one to everyone and be proud of it. Because, after four or so years, you will graduate and represent the best alumni in the nation. So work hard and make not only other people, but yourself proud.

Forever LSU and Geaux tigers!