A Letter To My High School Teacher Who Made A Difference

Thank you.

361

It's really hard to find exceptional teachers nowadays, especially high school teachers. As a liberal studies major, it's even harder to find flaws in teachers of all grade levels. I give high school teachers so much credit because I would never be able to teach at the high school level, I prefer the babies. I had many great high school teachers, but none that necessarily made a difference in my life, except for one.

There was one teacher that made the most positive impact in my high school career. She was actually not a teacher, but an advisor. Every Tuesday, every student would report to "Advisory," which is also known as "Homeroom." She was a Spanish teacher who was welcoming and well respected. She would even have students come to hang out in her classroom, just because they knew she welcomed and loved everyone.

To this amazing teacher and woman, thank you. Thank you for loving each and every one of your students. Thank you for pushing me to be the best student and version of myself I could be. Thank you for being upfront and honest with me. Thank you for giving me advice on personal issues or drama that I had going on. Thank you for never judging me.

It was bittersweet knowing that I couldn't come into your classroom every day just to hang out or vent once I graduated. I hope you know that everyone loved you and admired who you are as a person and as a teacher. You went out of your way to help students who were struggling academically and with their personal lives. You never gave up on anyone.

I know every student you've had before can agree with me when I say that every student is lucky to have you as their teacher.

Thank you for making a positive impact on my life. Teachers like you are hard to find.