An Open Letter To High School Girls

An Open Letter To High School Girls

Popularity isn't everything.

165
An Open Letter To High School Girls
Skylar Ray

Just a few years ago I was at the same point in my life that you are, focused on completely different things that I focus on now. I thought I knew what I was doing. I thought I had my priorities straight and that I was doing all the right things. I now know I was wrong. So wrong.

Boys are not something to worry about, trust me. You are young, you have so much ahead of you so please don't let a boy determine your happiness. Don't stress over whether he texts you back fast enough. Don't stress about him not giving you the attention you want.

You are both young, too young to be putting all of your energy on one another. Some day, years down the road you will know more about yourself. That's when you'll understand that the right guy will come when he's meant to.

Don't worry about being popular all the time. The amount of likes you get on instagram doesn't matter. The number of followers you have on twitter doesn't matter either. When you get to college you will realize that who you were in high school means nothing. No one cares if you were the captain of your sports team. No one cares if you were the smartest person in your class.

Don't let wanting to be popular lead you through your high school years. Don't be a mean girl just to gain popularity because I can assure you that it won't benefit you in the long run.

Focus on your school work, love your friends and spend time with your family. When you leave home, you'll miss them. I know there are times that you wish you could leave it al behind, but I promise you that one day you'll wish you could go back.

Focus on who you are. Be kind, love everyone and never lose sight of your goals. This is a time in your life to start becoming who you want to be. Be that girl that shows love to everyone that knows her. Smile at the girl in the hallway who doesn't have a lot of friends. Sit next to someone that is alone at lunch time.

This are the things that will benefit you and the people around you. Popularity doesn't mean anything after graduation day, so just be kind. Be kind to everyone you know.

Talking badly about others will get you nowhere. Don't pretend to be someone's friend just to go behind their back and say hurtful things. These things don't make you more popular, they will only make others see you in a negative light.

People say that high school is the best time of your life. I promise you that it's not true. College is great. It is the best time you'll have, but that doesn't mean to not enjoy your high school years. Embrace these times you have, but don't hold onto them so much that you lose sight of what's ahead.

I have learned from personal experience that there are way more important things than how much money you spend on your prom dress and how you look in your yearbook picture. I have learned that being popular isn't everything and that having a boyfriend in high school isn't always necessary. Someday you will realize all of these things to.

Until then, embrace your time at home and love those around you. Focus on school, your family and your real friends. Always be kind and be a friend to everyone that you can. These are the things that matter the most.