To The Single Girls Frustrated About Not Being In A Relationship

To The Frustrated Girls Thirsting For A Relationship, Your Singleness Is Actually A Gift

All this to say, have fun.

182
Jenna Walter

If you ever went or are going through a long period of time being single, it's safe to say that it can be a very irritating time of life. Especially in college, when it feels as though every one of your friends or family members is either talking to someone, dating, or married. Not to mention that one family member who always makes a note to ask you at family gatherings if you found someone yet. (Yes, I'm pretty sure everyone has at least one person in their family who does that.)

As someone who has been single for their entire life, it can bring about a feeling of defeat, or stress, as though you need to "get your life together." I'm here to tell you that all of those thoughts circulating through your head are lies. Because even though singleness can bring about feelings of neglect, loneliness, and inadequacy, it is the one time in your life when you can solely focus on yourself. Getting into a relationship won't fix or hide any of your flaws; if anything, it will put a spotlight on them and make them harder to work through. Learning to love yourself before the person is vital, because how are you supposed to love someone else fully if you don't love yourself first?

Even though singleness is a gift, it is not one many of us would choose. Books, films, and society have created many unrealistic expectations of what a happy, healthy relationship should look like. I think that every individual is different, therefore, all relationships hold variety and are distinctive from one another. One piece of advice I have heard from other people who had to wait a long period of time for their person is that you need to find contentment and completeness where you are before even thinking about the person. "Real life" doesn't begin when you enter a relationship. "Real life" begins when you blindly begin to trust in who you are and the power you hold as an individual.

All this to say, have fun. Take advantage of having the freedom to pursue your biggest goals and dreams. When you are in a constant search of something lacking in your life, in this case, a relationship, you will miss the significant, memorable moments going on right in front of you. The greatest fulfillment comes from the growth you allow to manifest throughout these years.