Dear February

Dear February

Babe, you've been great.

140
Dear February
pexels.com

Dear February, I told January that I was worried about your visit.

I was worried that I was going to lose touch with the people I care about most. I was worried that my time would disappear too quickly, and that March would saunter in, making you seem small and wasted. I was worried we wouldn’t get snow.

And February, you were so kind to me.

You’re known for reminding us of love, with Valentine’s day being a major part of your life and all. I want to thank you for the love I have in my life, in my parents, in my best friends, and in my supportive community.

You granted my best friend back to me. He and I talk like we used to, spending endlessly late nights together. I have my ice cream, he has his mac and cheese. It’s good again. I was so afraid he would push me away.

And I was able to help my other best friend through a hard situation, when she needed me. I was able to be supportive and patient and loving. I put her well being above my own curiosity.

I was able to be a distraction and a comfort, as she has always been for me.

Thank you for not taking them away from me.

Amid stressful classes, when I can barely hold my head up, I know it’s going to be okay. When I fall asleep at the circulation desk at 4 AM because I’m exhausted, I know I’ll be fine. When I have tests and papers and articles to write, and no time to sleep or eat, I know I’ll make it.

I know I'll make it because I have my best friends. I know they are there to catch me when I stumble, just like I will be there to catch them when they stumble.

I know I need to take better care of myself. You’ve seen me struggle to balance my graveyard shift, my course load, my clubs, and my friends. Oh, and sleep. Somehow, I always forget about sleep.

I know that without my friends, I wouldn’t be able to do it.

February, don’t you see why my friends are such great people? They are so kind, honest and funny. You should be proud of the love that they hold in their hearts.

My best friend was there for me when I needed him. Even though it was 1 AM on a random Wednesday night, he let me cry on his bed until I was able to talk to him. He was understanding, and took me seriously. I felt safe and heard, as I always do with him.

Your days were fuller than any I’ve ever seen. I got to experience so much, most of it good: argument essays, short stories, films – everything from Dance, Girl, Dance to "Black Panther." I’m grateful for our time together, February. Please come again next year, sweetie. You’re always welcome back.

And the snow was much appreciated.