A Thank You Letter To The Boy Who Taught Me How To Love Again

You took my broken heart and made it whole again.

863

To My Person,

When I think about heartbreak the first thing that comes to mind are my older sisters. Being the youngest of three girls I learned the harsh reality of love at a young age. I watched both of my sisters go through multiple heartbreaks and watched them as they cried for days over someone they thought loved them. Although I know they went through a lot of pain to get to where they are today, I now see them happy with two of the best guys I know. They are so happy that you could never tell that they once were shattered by the words, “We need to break up.”

Fast forward to my freshman year of college, where I experienced heartbreak for the first time in my life. If anyone has ever experienced true heartbreak you can agree that it really does take a toll on you. I turned into a different, more negative person who always questioned why I was not good enough. I turned into someone who did not believe in love and worst of all, I lost myself. While going through this tough time in my life I related myself back to my sisters. How did they learn to love again after their heartbreaks? I pondered this question for days on days and eventually came to the conclusion that I was just never going to love again, or be the same person again for that matter.

Coming into my sophomore year of college I had the same mindset until I met you. I was not sure of you at first because of what I had experienced with boys, but you quickly changed my perspective. As opposed to the typical college boy, you showed interest in me and asked me to hang out rather than just booty calling me on the weekends. We watched movies, went on ice cream dates, and I even made dinner for you. I slowly felt myself starting to fall for you and for the first time in a long time it was okay. I did not push you away but instead embraced you.

Now six months later I honestly say that letting you in was the best decision I have ever made. I cannot even begin to express how much of a blessing you are in my life. You have helped me, challenged me, and loved me when I did not deserve it. You have made me a better person, a happier person; you have made me myself again.

With all that being said I want to say thank you. Thank you for being patient with me. Thank you for being the only person that is down for getting ice cream with me at any hour of the day. Thank you for sharing your bed with me every night. Thank you for giving me pure happiness day in and day out. Thank you for dealing with me on my worst days. Thank you for laughing at my weird mannerisms. Thank you for driving two hours to see me when we are at home.

Thank you for taking care of me when I am sick. Thank you for believing in me. Thank you for opening my mind to the little things in life. Thank you for teaching me how to love again. Thank you for being my constant support system. Thank you for teaching me how to love myself. But most importantly thank you for being you, because without you I would not be me.

I could never put into words how much you have changed my life for the better. Regardless of our arguments here and there, you have truly taught me what it feels like to be loved. You have showed me that true love can withstand the strongest storms and for that I am forever grateful. You took a broken heart and filled it with love again. You are the best person to ever come into my life and I thank God for you everyday.

I could have never asked for a better best friend, mentor, partner in crime, or other half. Thank you for teaching me that it is possible to love not only others, but yourself again.

Love,

Your Person