For Once, I Was the Minority

For Once, I Was the Minority

Who would have thought?

102
For Once, I Was the Minority

As an average height, weight, white, upper-middle class, female, I have NEVER, not even in the slightest, been in the minority. Sure I've been in a room where there were more males than females, and I've spent more than enough time with people from every economic status.

On the other hand, I would say about 85% of my high school was white with very little diversity to be found. I spent the first 18 years of my life with people who were exactly like me. I like to think that I keep myself exposed to diversity and that I can find myself being comfortable in all situations.

Since coming to college I have been exposed to more diverse groups of people than my high-school self could have ever imagined. I have met people of all different skin colors, religions, sexual-orientations, beliefs, ages, and origins. I have gotten to know people that a younger me would have avoided because we are not alike in the slightest.

I've been trying to do one thing every day that is out of my comfort zone. And while some days are more extreme than others, I found myself completely out of my element as my friends encouraged me to tag along to a step-show hosted by the National Pan-Hellenic Council. Of course, I was unsure of what the night just exactly would consist o -considering I had absolutely no idea what a "step show" is. I figured it probably meant some kind of dancing.

Beyond that, I was clueless.

As I walked into the event, it was no secret that I did not exactly fit in. In fact, in an audience of over 500 people, I would say I was one of the ten "white" people in the audience. I couldn't help but feel as though I had made the wrong decision by coming. I could have easily spent my night at home or doing literally anything else that would have made me feel more comfortable and less out of place.

But I was already there, and I had spent 10 dollars on my ticket.

So we made our way to our seat which of course meant in the front row. I kept to myself and didn't say anything throughout nearly the whole first half of the show. I didn't know what to say that wouldn't sound stupid or make me sound as though I was as uncomfortable as I was.

At intermission, nearly a quarter of the audience got on stage and started performing a step that it seemed everyone knew except me. Whether or not they knew each other was beside the point as they all laughed and danced together on stage. It was remarkable. An unspoken connection between a large group of people.

The night continued and although I continued to be uncomfortable, I realized that no one really cared that I was white. I'm sure they wondered what I brought me to one of their events, but no one cared.

They didn't stare at me as if I were an intruder although I definitely felt like I was.

The thing for me was that I had never experienced anything like it before. I was completely out of my element and for once, I was the minority. There was no comfort beyond the invisible walls of the two seats that my friends held beside me.

There are people that feel this way every day without their walls of protection. They are used to being the minority, but they do not let it phase them.

For that, they are much stronger than they receive credit for.

I was ready to cower and run home with my tail between my legs. And for what?

Because I was around people who weren't exactly like me?

I have always tried my best to welcome diversity with open arms, but I can't help but wonder, am I honestly doing all that I can? If I am still shying away from situations that are potentially something I've never been exposed to, how can I say that I am truly making a difference and helping to unite a diverse people? How can I be so hypocritical as to wonder why people are not entirely accepting of those who are different?