Olympics 2016: What the World Doesn't See

There is a lot more than the Olympics happening in Rio.

7
Medium

2016- Rio De Janeiro

The whole world collectively clicks on their TV's as fireworks soar across the screen, dazzling and blinking over the roaring stadium. Thousands of fans and athletes pour into arena's, screaming and worshiping the almighty god of sports. Diplomats, celebrities, and royalties, lavish and luxurious, sit and watch in the audience, rapt with the games.

This is the 2016 Summer Olympics, and here, the focus is solely on the athletes, the competitions, and the fame.

Yet as the bold headline flashes on every TV screen around the world- Rio 2016- little thought is given to the actual place, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

As the world watches the games, they forget that just to build the stadiums, thousands of families had to be displaced, their communities were torn apart when the government forced them to leave their homes.

They forget that Brazil is listed in the top ten poorest countries in South America, and in the top 150 poorest countries in the world.

They forget that Brazil has just been bombarded with an outbreak of Zika, a medical emergency costing the country thousands of lives and digging into their already faltering economy.

And they forget that Brazil has been in an economic slump since the 1930's, with this year, in particular, being an all time low for their currency exchange rates.

Very few people are conscious of these facts as they watch the games. Sure, Brazil wants to attract tourists, but the $3 billion spent on hosting the games could never be regained through tourism alone. Not only that but by the time the torch was lit, Brazil had already spent 50% more than their budget.

The bottom line is this: hosting an event as large as the Olympics will put any country into debt, but with a country like Brazil that was already struggling greatly before taking on this enormous financial burden, the economic strain can be devastating. These games are being put on by the government, not the people.

But what can be done?

How about this: don't forget. Don't forget that outside those arenas and stadium walls there are thousands of people struggling to find food. Don't forget that behind the dazzling lights there are hungry children on the streets in tattered clothing watching from a distance. Don't forget that despite the lavish show that's put on within the walls, Rio is part of a developing country, and it is likely that most people sitting in the audience have incomes that are more than the combined incomes of the poor struggling locals on the outside.

Don't forget that the Olympics aren't just about the sports.

Don't forget the location and the people.