To the Older Brothers of Younger Sisters

We hope you know we're grateful for you and all you've ever done.

1221
Quotesgram

Dear older brothers,

We grew up watching your every move. We got you in trouble for being too rough. Girls are too delicate for your wrestling matches! We told on you. Some of us let our much older siblings avenge us when you took your practical jokes too far. Even though we did this to you, it was not out of hate or any sort of contempt. After all, any girl knows that when she loves a boy, being mean to him is the best way to get his attention! You defended us against others. Only you were allowed to pick on us! You agreed to play with us, even when dolls were demanded. You even watched cartoons when you clearly would rather watch MTV.

You were always cooler than us. You made being a teenager look like the easiest task on the planet, no matter how much you were struggling between adolescents and adulthood. We wanted to be like you. We know you wanted nothing to do with us. I mean, we were your uncool, scrappy, overly-enthusiastic little sisters. How could you hang out with us without experiencing some sort of embarrassment? It's okay. We don't blame you. If the roles were reversed, we would have done the same. It's the nature of being siblings. We made you drive us everywhere when mom wasn't home. To school. To practices. To the mall. We loved you for it, though it was obvious you didn't really want to do it.

We cried for days when you left home, hoping the distance wouldn't feel so vast if the time went by as quickly as our parents promised. Yet, you were excited to go. Ready to spread your wings and take on a new adventure. That's when you left us behind, only for the moment, though. We knew you were destined for greatness. No matter what you chose to do with your life, it was going to be a success. Everything you did, in our eyes, was pure gold anyway. If nothing else, we would still think you were the most remarkable person around.

Then, you brought her home. She wasn't good enough for you, even if she was sweet and charming and able to treat you like a prince. Still, you promised that you loved us and that we would always be your obnoxious little sisters. We trusted you because we always had.

You had your own babies. You shared those memories with us. You allowed us to experience being the aunt before we go on to have our own children. We watched you fumble through the early stages of fatherhood, laughing at your expense. Hey, you're still the older brother! We have to pick on you sometimes! But, all in all, we knew you were an amazing father, simply because you were an awesome brother.

So, I take the time now to thank you. Thank you for being our best friend and choosing to take us under your wing. It's okay that you hated us for a portion of time. We get it. Adding a baby the family will always take some adjustment. You couldn't help but love us in the end. You were never able to teach us about make-up, fashion, or the fabulous natural occurrence that is puberty. But you taught us other important lessons.

First, if you're sharing a bathroom with a boy, always check that he put the toilet seat down, lest you end up falling into the toilet. Second, "good" music is subjective and we shouldn't judge another person's style. Third, childhood goes by fast and money is not endless, so enjoy your time with mom and dad and always respect them.

Most importantly, you taught us to expect what we deserve from a man. Maybe you couldn't teach us about womanhood. Of course, how would you know? Yet, there was something far more important that you taught us and continue to teach us the older we become. You didn't teach us how to be a lady, but you showed us how a lady deserves to be treated. We've learned from your accomplishments and mistakes, and you have loved us through ours. Even though you can be a pain in the neck, we still secretly wish we were as cool as you!

With love and admiration,

Your obnoxious little sisters