Why Chivalry Needs To Be Revived

Why Chivalry Needs To Be Revived

"A gentleman knows his actions carry more weight than any words spoken."

196
Why Chivalry Needs To Be Revived

Is chivalry dead? You're unable to deny that this issue seems to be a hot topic for the everyday people roaming the streets. Chivalry is essentially an act or series of acts committed by men that are courteous toward women. Examples of these acts include, but are not limited to, holding the door open, pulling out a woman's chair, stepping aside in a narrow hall, sharing an umbrella, and many more. To some women, chivalry is dead and will remain dead because men are too inconsiderate and lazy to ever put effort toward this behavior. On the other hand, men argue that chivalry isn't dead but is indeed endangered due to the lack of appreciation women give. Both sides are entitled to their opinions, but there are few "old-fashioned" acts I believe should be resurrected.

1. Don't text. Call to ask her on a date.

In this world, we typically use texting as a way to make plans, but please, call her. Not only does this add a personal touch to the gesture, but it sets you apart from the other guys.

2. Hold the door open for others.

The other day, while it was pouring outside, I was carrying bags into my building when a dark-haired guy noticed me a few steps away from the door. He paused and waited for me to catch up, then held the door open for me and stepped aside, allowing me to go in first. I know this is a simple gesture, but I don't see much of this anymore. I've literally had a guy basically slam a door in my face, so when this guy held the door open, it took me by surprise. I smiled and thanked him. I have this same reaction whenever they pull out a chair or offer to lift heavier objects.

3. Making sure we got home OK.

How awesome is it when they actually call you or just send a text to make sure that you got home safely? Or even better, he walked you to your car in that sketchy parking lot because, let's be honest, those places creep you out.

4. Walk on the outside of the sidewalk.

Some guys don't know about this, but you're supposed to walk on the outside of the sidewalk if you're with a woman. I used to not see the significance of this until I saw a young couple walking around downtown Atlanta one day. The woman was walking on the outside of the street so the man politely switched places with her. Within five minutes, a car drove into a puddle and splashed the young man. I felt so bad for him, but at the same time, I appreciated his chivalrous act.

5. Take her out on simple dates.

Don't get me wrong — nice dates at restaurants are always welcome, but sometimes finding simple ways to spend time together means so much more. By this, I don't mean "Netflix and chill." We aren't interested in that. Offer to get coffee and go on a walk through a park or city. Take her somewhere where you guys can just talk and get to know each other. Little moments like these mean just as much as grand gestures.

So I ask this: Should chivalry exist? Some men and women believe that it is impossible to be chivalrous with the encouragement of equal treatment. A woman may become offended if a man were to hold a door open because this act is undermining her value. She may think that, by holding the door, the man sees her as "below" him. Personally I see this as a slight exaggeration, but one can make this argument. Chivalry could easily imply that women need these acts to be done for them because they are unable to do these things for themselves.

I'd like to point out that I am a modern, independent woman. I know how to take care of myself. Am I a little old fashioned? Maybe. I appreciate certain aspects of feminism, but I prefer gender roles. I love when a guy offers to kill a bug for me or lift a heavy object. I find chivalry to be an amazing thing, so it saddens me to see that it's endangered. So cheers to the women who are also looking for that chivalrous, good-hearted guy. He's out there — I've seen it.