An Ode To Honesty

An Ode To Honesty

It's time to stop being a people pleaser.

41
An Ode To Honesty

"The Japanese say you have three faces. The first face, you show to the world. The second face, you show to your close friends and your family. The third face, you never show anyone. It is the truest reflection of who you are."

This anonymous yet famous Japanese proverb has ingrained itself into the minds of seemingly everyone that I know today. Look at a college campus for example: everyone has different personas that follow them from the classroom, to frat parties, to their personal lives when they're at home or by themselves. Although this makes sense to an extent, as it is obviously not appropriate to behave in a professional setting as you would in a party, I can't help but wonder if this "three faces" philosophy has infringed on the level of honesty that we hold ourselves to in our daily lives.

I'm not calling this Japanese proverb bullsh*t or anything, but do we REALLY have to apply it to our daily lives? I'm sure we're not all doing it consciously-- in fact most of us are probably doing it subconsciously-- but now is the time when we should all just be honest with each other.

Say what's on your mind (given appropriate boundaries). If you like someone, tell them. If you're confused in class, say it. People will never truly understand who you are if you hide it from them. Plus, if you're honest with everyone you meet, then you'll be sure that the one's who continually hang out with you actually want to be there. Find true friends who like you for who you are, not who you're pretending to be.

Honesty is not an excuse to be rude, however. Take it this way: if you don't like someone, then you simply don't need to talk to them. If you do, be decent. By letting more of yourself out to others, you'll be able to see the negative opinions of people that aren't worth holding on to.

Being transparent isn't about going around and doing whatever you want with no excuses. If anything, it's simply a lighter outlook on life. Instead of tailoring yourself to please those around you, all you have to do from this point on is be present and in the moment. By actually contributing, with your own opinions, to conversations with those around you, you'll be engaging yourself in a life that you are better interested in.

Your opinion of yourself is what is going to keep you happy. So it's time to stop being what other people want you to be and really finding what makes you happy, because it's those who will stick by you forever who are going to support you no matter what.

Rant over.