Not Your Usual Summer Goals

Not Your Usual Summer Goals

Make goals that will last a lifetime, not something temporary.
63

It's officially summer but summer isn't like how it used to be, right? When you're in your 20s things change. You're an adult... well, sort of.

You can't just sit around soaking up in the sun for three months. Odds are you're working or interning somewhere because you need money for the upcoming school year or need something to put on your resume, maybe both. You're not entirely limited to being completely spontaneous with summer plans, but things have to be planned in advance in order to actually go through with things, which leads me to why you should do something different.

I'm not talking about your "summer body" or "revenge body" goals because if that's what your plans are they shouldn't be temporary goals-- that should be lifetime goals, with the main purpose of staying healthy.

These goals that I'm talking about are for you. It's for your well-being and your soul. While things get busy, never be too busy for yourself.

Here are 8 things you can do these next few months, and beyond for that matter, that are not your usual "summer goals," and are actually doable.

1. Make a reading list.

Books are a wonderful thing. It's practically television for your mind. There are an infinite amount of different books, making it an automatic guarantee something will spark your interest. Make a list and start expanding your mind.

2. Pick a DIY project.

Do It Yourself projects are always a good time while also being a time-killer. It's always an option and you'll probably find something online that's an absolute-must. Be creative. It's fun.

3. Return to childhood pastimes.

Growing up we all had our fair share of favorite things to do. But who said we should keep it in our past? Recall some of your happiest summer memories and try to recreate them however many years it is later. Add some "adult" to it if need be.

4. Change things at home.

I'm a firm believer of the saying "out with the old and in with the new" because it's so true. Whether it's moving around furniture or painting your room, or even just getting new decor-- a refresher is nice. It's very rewarding once all is said and done.

5. Make a new recipe.

Cooking, baking, maybe even grilling. Whether you're good at it or not, it's pretty essential to life. Starting this summer, try to better things and make entirely new things-- only to better the new things later on. Who doesn't like a good meal or treat?

6. Do the unexpected.

Push yourself to do things out of your comfort zone. It's always good to do things to challenge yourself. Whether it's getting a tattoo, sky-diving, a completely new look, or something that's totally "not" you, go for it! You'll learn more about yourself. Not all change is bad.

7. Stay independent.

This is pretty important. Stay independent. Don't be dependent. Don't be completely dependent on your parents or significant other. Do things on your own. No one can dictate your path or happiness for that matter. It's all about you at the end of the day.

So go kick butt this summer at whatever it is that you're doing. Being an adult doesn't entirely suck, always remember that. As you get older time gets more precious, and that's not even speaking in terms of life or death. There's just so many things to do, so why not start now? The concept of "summer goals" gives away that it's temporary in the subject title alone. This is just a short list to get you ahead of the game so go do intellectual and unique things this summer and allow it carry on for the remainder of your existence.

That's what your goals should be.