The Happiest Place On Earth Is Not Disney World

The Happiest Place on Earth is Not Disney World

They've been lying to you

98

Hidden in the shadows of all of the tourist attractions in Kissimmee, Florida, there is the happiest place on earth. It is a place where families go to escape the struggles of the real world. It is a place that seems as though it was taken right out of a story book, and no, i am not talking about Disney World. I am talking about Give Kids the World Village, a place that opens their doors to sick children and their families to have the happiest week of their whole lives.

Give Kids the World Village works closely with the Make A Wish foundation and other wish-making charities. For every child whose wish is to go to Disney World, Universal, or Sea World, they get to stay a whole week at the village completely free! One of the coolest parts about Give Kids the World Village is that most of the people you see there, are volunteers. Normal people are volunteering their time to operate rides, deliver pizzas to villas, scoop ice cream and the Ice Cream Palace, and so much more. The coolest thing is, anyone can volunteer!

One of the coolest volunteer shifts you can pick up is at the Castle of Miracles. The Castle of Miracles houses Stellar the Star Fairy. When kids come to the village, they receive a star. They can decorate this star however they want. When they are done decorating their star, the give it to Stellar to hang up in her observation tower. I have been in the observation tower only once, but there are tens of thousands of stars hung up. There is never a dry eye in the room when in that special moment. The stars represent that every child has a place at the village, and they are always welcomed back.

The Castle of Miracles houses tens of thousands of stars from kids who have visited the village.c1.staticflickr.com

I have had some amazing opportunities to go down to Kissimmee and volunteer at the village. When I tell you it is eye-opening to be there will all of these kids who are sick, but do not act like it, I mean it is eye-opening. I have had the privilege of making so many people smile just because I told a little girl I liked her dress, or I let a little boy ride on the ride for five times. I have also met kids who have lost their ability to speak, so we have to find another way to communicate with them. This is so amazing because I have learned that there are so many different and beautiful ways to communicate to others. Being there just never gets old.

When you step onto the cobblestone walkway, you immediately feel like you are in a fairytale. There are princesses, fairies, pirates, etc. that walk the streets of the village. You will see kids riding the carousel over and over again until they get sick, but they love it. You will see kids who are fighting for their lives, and they only get one week to escape from the treatments and hospital stays. To be completely honest, the happiest people there are the parents. They got to escape all of that, plus they are not thinking about the medical bills that they are somehow going to pay off. The parent and families are so grateful towards the volunteers for making their stay at the village just 10x more easier than it already was.

If you have never had the chance to visit or volunteer at Give Kids the World Village, you are really missing out. It is truly the happiest place on earth.

Give Kids The World PSA (:90)www.youtube.com