Not Just Another Article On Being Single

We have got to stop making excuses and picking ourselves apart.

18
Unsplash

Ugh. I know what you're thinking: another article about being single, skip. I agree. I dislike these articles too. It has begun to define the unmarried. I'm not sure how this status has evolved or even if it has flat-lined because I am becoming aware of the overwhelming presence this has over my generation and the generations after me.

The goal I have for writing this is to bring out the joys and--what I think to be--the truths of being single. Keep in mind that I am 22 years old surrounded by couples, both married and engaged. I don't think of being single as a crippling, permanent thing. For some, it is permanent, but for many, it is just a season of life. That's what I'm writing on.

The number one thing I cannot stand to hear from single women and men is their list of reasons for being single. We have got to stop making excuses and picking ourselves apart. It's not healthy and really, it's a bunch of crap. You're single because it is not the right time for you to be in a relationship. You're fine. Nothing is wrong with you. Stop picking yourself apart and enjoy the beauty of this season.

My brother has recently gotten engaged, and I cannot be more excited (YAY for Jenna & Matty). As I was joyously talking this over with my mom and sister, I mentioned how I hope to have a date to their wedding. To this, they both expressed that I am not incomplete without a man, that if I have a date, I wouldn't be available to enjoy the night fully. Fair. True. Good job, Fambam.

I don't know about you, but I was like duh I don't need no man. Neither do you. I am doing great. You're doing great. It gets lonely watching the couples, sure. Eventually, everyone becomes lonely at some point. I think that being single teaches us to love ourselves more deeply than when we're in a relationship.

I was thinking that I would like to go on a date because it's been a while. I was like I want to feel beautiful, to feel wanted, to be pursued. Spoiler alert: I am beautiful, I am wanted and I am pursued. Jesus wants me. He is pursuing me. He thinks I am beautiful. He thinks the same things about you as well, trust me.

Being single means I get to travel, go out, stay in, wear sweats and ignore wearing makeup for however long I want. I get to do things that my siblings and friends cannot. I have been looking at teaching English overseas. I read books, shows get watched. I find more out about myself daily. I am becoming a woman who will (Lord willing) be a great wife because I am living my single life to it's fullest. I'm learning how to be my true self.

I am pro-marriage, don't get me wrong. I am also pro-single. If there is one thing that people could stop doing it is this: illuminating the fact that I am single and nothing else. I am more than that, as I am sure you are too.

I used to be the kind of person who lived for the benefit of guys. I really enjoyed being adored by them because it felt good. I felt pretty. After awhile, I started to feel bad because I lost myself. I lost the woman who I wanted to be.

I want to challenge all of you who are not dating, who are not married, to discover yourself more deeply. To find out what brings you joy, what triggers your anger and what brings out your sadness. Take trips with your best friends. Find a hobby and become an expert in it. Be. Single.