Northview High School Has Been Proven To Score High In College Readiness

The new CCRPI system finally shows the extent of student success.
401

Northview High School has long been known for its over achieving students and hard working students, proven through outstanding SAT scores and now, the College and Career Readiness Percentage Index (CCRPI) score: 101.2. The CCRPI score is on a 100 point scale which Northview managed to score above. Northview has scored higher than the majority of high schools in the state of Georgia, indicating that it is an exceptionally performing high school.

“As a student, it produces a sense of pride that Northview exceeded the scores of all other public high schools in Georgia,” Student Council President Austin Meng said. “It is a strong sign that we, as a school, are succeeding overall.” Such success comes from the cooperation of students and teachers, which then produces a strong, academic relationship having extensive communication that both can learn lots from.

The CCRPI score is broken down into three components: achievement, progress and achievement gap.

Achievement is the analysis of test scores, such as End of Course exams (EOCs). Progress represents how well Northview students did compared to other kids across the state, and the achievement gap is for under-performing student subgroups who are them offered methods of improvement.

There are a total of 17 categories within achievement, in which overall, since last reported in 2017, Northview scored 47.9 out of 50 points. Progress is primarily based on EOC scores. The difference between EOC scores per academic year is observed in order to determine if each student is progressing at a stable pace and to analyze if Northview students performed better than other kids in other schools.

The EOC has four categories for scoring, such as proficient and advanced. Each level awards the student a certain number of points. For example, beginning level is equal to zero points. The number of students with a high number of points contribute more towards the achievement score. Needless to say, students strive for proficient and advanced, and I frequently hear classmates comparing high scores.

“We had many exemplary students who scored very high,” Northview High School's Principal Brian Downey said. “Our score puts us in the top 10 high schools in the state.”

Progress mainly shows the effect that any high school has on education, creating an importance to score as highly as possible in this category.

“Our goal was to have the benchmark at 75 percent of kids in high growth category, and we had 75.7 percent,” said Downey.

Next is achievement gap, usually the lowest quartile. This category highlights the gap between the typically performing kids and a less than average students and what Northview is doing to bring up all their students to the same standard. Northview generated a score of 10/10 in this category, illuminating the school’s ability to enhance academic progress.

After adding up all the points from each of the three categories, schools are given bonus points for certain characteristics that may be optional but also improve their performance. Northview obtained challenge points for GPAs over a 100 and for PBIS. The fact that many students have GPAs over a 100 is astounding; Northview offers numerous difficult classes that require a large time commitment, and the fact that most students succeed despite that is truly amazing.

Another big contributor towards our CCRPI score is graduation rate. This score takes into account how many students did or did not graduate on time per year. In last year’s graduating class, 95.4 percent of the class graduated on time, another feat rare in public high schools.

I believe that Northview’s CCRPI score signifies its intelligent students and their readiness for college, but it also the immeasurable amount of hard work that each student puts in to secure their futures. The extent of motivation and dedication is astounding, especially considering that teenagers are prone to distractions. The fact that our academic performance, extracurriculars and disciplinary effort were all taken into account makes CCRPI a very through system in discerning college readiness.

“Our high score shows that not only do our students perform at the top of the charts, but our school has built a climate that values and supports those achievements.” Northview's Assistant Principal Susan Walker said.