No, Prince Charming, I Will Not Sit Waiting For You

He might be out there, but I'm in no rush to find him.

268
Christina Boniello

“There’s plenty of fish in the sea.”

“You’ll find the right guy someday.”

“He’s out there, you just haven’t found him yet.”

We’ve all heard it before. Whether it’s right after a breakup if you’ve never been in a relationship, we’ve all heard it. But has anyone stopped to think that maybe we’re not constantly searching for Mr. Right? We don’t go out every day in hopes today will be the day.

As a matter of fact, some of us are quite content in our day-to-day single lives.

It’s a funny observation: when you’re in a relationship, everyone around you is happily single. But when you’re single, everyone around you is in a happy relationship.

But perhaps it is possible to be single, happy and not looking.

Throughout my life, I’ve never felt the need to actively seek a romantic relationship. The most common question to come up at holiday dinners and get-togethers is wondering if I’m seeing someone. When I say no, there’s always a hint of pity in the person’s voice when they tell me it’s okay, I’ll find someone.

I’m 22 years old and I’ve only been in one serious relationship. Leading up to the start of it, I loved life hanging out with friends, both single and couples. I never once felt the need to actively look for a relationship.

I was almost 21 when that relationship ended and I’ve been incredibly happily single since then. I’ve read posts from impatient girls waiting for her prince charming to come sweep her off her feet. While I definitely believe there is one person out there meant for me, I will not sit back waiting for him to arrive.

I will be out living my life. I will make the most of these years with some of the greatest friends I could have asked for. I will go out and have fun with no intention of finding a guy.

There have definitely been moments over the past few years when I’ve missed being in a relationship. But then again I think it’s the companionship and sharing memories that I miss, and I’m lucky to be doing that every day with a wonderful group of friends nearby.

Waiting for someone, and hoping to someday find that person, is great. But please don’t put your life on hold or think you are of any less value because you haven’t found them yet. Enjoy the single time. Enjoy these years filled with learning and lessons and enjoy the company of those around you.

Do not sit back and wait for him to come find you. Life your life to the fullest every day, maybe you’ll bump into him along the way.