Stolen Voices

Stolen Voices

"No" wasn't the right answer

85
Stolen Voices
Huffington Post

I hate the movie "The Little Mermaid." The entire movie revolves around miscommunication and sacrifice. Ariel gives up her voice, the most powerful thing a person has. Millions of people all around the world would do anything to have a voice. We constantly fight to be heard. But Ariel? She just willingly handed it over for the chance to be with a man she didn't know.

I never thought this way about "The Little Mermaid" until I encountered the same situation. I handed my voice over to someone just to be with him.

Apparently, no wasn't the right answer. So I said I wasn't ready. I said I didn't feel sexy. I said I hadn't shaved in a long time. I said I was tired. I said I smelled. I said I just got off of work. I said my work uniform was dirty. I said I just didn't want to. I said I wanted to wait. But nothing was good enough. If I loved him, I would go through with it.

Initially, it was a shock. Walking through my front door with bloody panties and a bruised neck. But nobody noticed. I acted like I was okay, so why would they think otherwise?

I really did try to be okay. I'm a strong, independent female who doesn't need a man. Why should I not be okay?

I could still feel his breath on my neck. His hands pushing my head down. His body preventing mine from getting off of the couch. All of it made me nauseous and I didn't want to ever think about it again. But I couldn't escape any of it. Between nightmares and flashbacks, the event never left my mind.

He had my voice. He took it with ease. And I was left screaming for help, even though no sound would come out of my mouth. I couldn't give him any part of me because he had already taken it. He took it and then he never gave it back to me. He never talked to me again. He didn't want me anymore. The greedy pig went to the trough, took what he wanted, and then waddled away.

I haven't ever been afraid of people. I know I can't trust everybody and I shouldn't just go anywhere with anybody, but I've always had confidence. Confidence in myself that no matter what, I could get myself out of my mess. I could fight for myself. I could hit somebody hard enough to get them off of me. I could call 9-1-1. I could scream. I could run. I could spray them with mace. I could walk away. But everything I thought I knew about myself was disproved that night when he spread my legs apart.

I was silenced. I'm loud and obnoxious and confident. There's no way I could be silenced. I never thought it would happen, but I was silenced.

Oppression isn't something I know too well. I'm a white female who lived in the suburbs for the first 19 years of my life. I didn't want for anything. I wasn't ever alone. I had it good. It was a good life. If I ever felt oppressed, I could fight back. I had the will and I had the resources.

But for the first time ever, oppression hit me and I had no choices. I had no options. I had no will. I had no strength. All of that was left on his dirty leather couch up against the wall.

Oppression is never deserved. It isn't okay. It isn't fun. It isn't a part of life. Those are bullshit excuses for people who like to strip others of their voice.

Often times, when we think about oppression, we think of drastic and intense situations. Human trafficking. Animal rights. Child slavery. These are times when people are oppressed. Not the times when you feel like you can't talk to your parents because you feel like they won't respect your opinion. Not the times when you're bullied to tears for having acne or braces or good grades. Not the times when you feel physically afraid to talk in front of other people.

But the truth is, all of these are examples of oppression. Anytime you feel like you can't vocalize your true thoughts, feelings, or emotions is a time of oppression. Whenever someone thinks it's okay to take your voice, that is when you need to fight back. Don't give it to a drag queen sea creature. Don't give it to the boy who will tell you he loves you just to get more than a kiss. Don't give it to the bullies on the bus. Don't give it to anyone. What will they do with your voice? They can't use it.

Your voice is the most powerful thing you have. It is 100% unique to you. Nobody else can have your voice. It took me a while to realize that even if someone tries to take it, they still don't have it. Your voice never leaves you. It's yours to control, not to be controlled.