9 Tell-Tale Signs Of A Violinist

9 Tell-Tale Signs Of A Violinist

How you can spot a violinist from a mile away.

4491
9 Tell-Tale Signs Of A Violinist
Skill Share

Musicians have their many unique, individual quirks. There are many stereotypical characteristics that can pinpoint who's who in any musical group, whether it be a band, an orchestra, a wind ensemble, a symphony or even a chorus. Flutes and piccolos are snobby, clarinets are giddy, double bassists eat everything, french horns are the equivalent to sick ducks, bassoonists are just awesome and the list goes on and on.

If you are a musician, it's easier to tell who else is a fellow musician and maybe even tell what kind of instrument they play. If you aren't a musician it can sometimes be a bit harder. Here are nine tell-tale signs to spot a violinist.

1. Is that mark on their neck a hickey?

Even though some people think the mark on our neck is a hickey, players would rather the mark be a hickey. But instead, this black and blue mark that lives on the left soft spot between their jaw and their neck is because of their violin! Feast your eyes on a violin hickey!

These marks can be rather easy or pretty hard to obtain on your skin, depending on how sensitive or tough the player's skin is, but this mark shows dedication, motivation and a lot of practice! Violinists are proud of their violin hickeys and aren't afraid to show them off!

2. Their closet consists of the colors black, white and... black.

This category is not just for violinists, but for all classical and jazz musicians.

Their wardrobe will consist of two sections. One will be a few drawers with their everyday semi colorful clothes. This drawer usually consists of over washed jeans, various 100 percent cotton, free t-shirts they probably got from a camp or fundraiser and a few nice outfits for a rare excursion to the outdoors.

The other section is usually found hanging in a closet, because the black on black on black needs to be performance ready! Sometimes a bystander may find the occasional white blouse mixed in with blacks for those school or state concerts, but black is the new black and that is never going to change.

3. They have rosin residue all over their clothes!

What is rosin? Rosin is dried sap from trees. The dust of the rosin that resembles chalk is used to create friction between many things.

People such as gymnasts, ballerinas, weightlifters and baseball pitchers may use rosin to improve their grip and increase the friction between the two surfaces. In this case, rosin is used to put on the hair of the violin bow.

This lets the bow run across the strings, while pulling the string to create a vibration. After the rosin is used, the residue ends up everywhere! On your hands, under your fingernails, all over your pants, and every crease on your violin. As a violinist, let me tell you -- rosin does not mix well with an all black wardrobe.

4. "Sorry, I have rehearsal."

If your friend or loved one mutters these words time and time again, you must get them major medical attention.

I'm kidding, of course... kind of...

If you know someone who is very passionate and/or serious about playing an instrument, they are always either practicing, at a rehearsal or playing a concert. It is very hard to make plans with these people sometimes because of their busy musical schedule.

If you want to make plans during December, March, May or June, forget about it -- it's concert season! Also, if this friend plays gigs such as weddings, baby showers and parties, you'll never see them again.

5. Chronic back, neck and shoulder pain.

Remember when I said I wasn't kidding about finding your violinist medical attention? This is why.

If you have ever seen how a violinist holds up their instrument, it doesn't look comfortable. Their left arm is bent upwards to create a v, the left hand in parallel to their left shoulder which should all be parallel to the ground, their head is slightly bent for their jaw to lie against the chin rest and the right arm reaches across their entire body.

And don't get me started on the left and right hand positions, they're not pretty. Your friend may complain of pain, go to a chiropractor, massage therapist or do extra stretches. Even if a violinist has a perfect position with perfect posture, it is very hard to avoid back, neck and shoulder pain.

6. They have very boring nails.

String players need to have short nails. If they do not have short nails, it could interfere with their playing by getting caught on/in between strings which would mess with the upright position of the fingers on the fingerboard and the bow.

The picture I chose to show above is what my nails may look like if I ever decided to take care of them instead of leaving them short and unpolished. The cut of the nail does not go above the skin line and the colors aren't too "in your face," good and acceptable for performances.

If the nail should reach over the skin line, it should be chopped!

7. Traveling is not light!

In addition to the position and posture of the violinist while playing, what and how the violinist carries their belongings has a big impact on their bodies.

Violin cases are on average about five to six pounds, but once they add their music to one pocket, their rosin, shoulder rest, pencils and accessories into the case, it gets much heavier. Oh, and don't forget their stand bag and/or purse on the other shoulder!

This means they are carrying at the least 10 to 12 pounds to and from their destination. This load gets worse if you are carrying an instrument twice your size or in a metal case.

If you are ever walking with a fellow musician, ask if you can take some literal weight off of their shoulders.

8. Even the musician wants a break!

After the constant rehearsing, chronic upper body pain, missing out on new nail trends and the countless rosin stains on our precious black clothes, us violinists want a break to hang out with the friend who has been trying to contact them since the Christmas concert two years ago.

But, here is the most important sign of recognizing a violinist...

Despite the long hours, sore bodies and strict guidelines, we love what we do!