30 Things All Choir Kids Know To Be True

Whether you're a seasoned pro or just took choir for fine arts credit, these things apply to you.

24268
Vicki Bell

Sight reading, endless hours of rehearsing, unbreakable bonds with the other people in your ensemble. Such is the life of a choir kid. Whether you've been in choir all your life or only took it to get fine arts credit, you'll be able to understand the good, the bad, and the ugly that comes with being part of a choir.

SEE ALSO: 8 Types Of Kids You'll Find In Show Choir

1. Your director is #FriendGoals.

They may seem a little intimidating in rehearsal (especially when your section misses that note for the thousandth time), but you'd still totally hang out with them if they asked.

2. Sight reading is literally the most stressful thing in the world.

Do, re, mi, fa, so done with trying to figure out all of these skips and meter changes.

3. "I can't, I have rehearsal," becomes your life motto.

*gets rehearsal and concert schedule* "Well, there goes my social life for the rest of the semester…"

4. No choir trip is complete without a sing-along.

You know the audience is probably wondering why you're all smiling like idiots, but that look means everything to you, so you really don't care.

5. You live for the look that your director gives you after you nail a piece.

6. Losing your voice is a fate worse than death.

If an instrumentalist gets sick, they can still play, but if a vocalist gets sick? May the odds be ever in your favor… Might as well start planning your career as a mime.

7. Concert attire is beyond unflattering.

…not to mention hot. Tux jackets and floor length dresses under bright stage lights? Someone is bound to pass out from a heat stroke.

8. You constantly have one of your pieces stuck in your head.

Or more accurately, one line from one of your pieces. And that line is almost never the melody.

9. The choir room or the music building is essentially your home away from home.

If you're MIA, your friends know where to find you.

10. Singing in a foreign language means faking it until you make it.

Sure, you have no idea what you're actually saying or if you're saying it right, but you tried your best, and that's what matters.

11. We all have a musical crush on Eric Whitacre.

The man is a musical genius… And the dissonance… Sweet, sweet dissonance.

12. You sing the most beautiful renditions of "Happy Birthday" known to man.

Complete with five different harmonies and a bunch of cadences.

13. If you forget a pencil in rehearsal, you're up a creek without a paddle.

And don't even think about trying to get away with marking your music in pen.

14. There's always that one soprano that can NOT blend.

So. Much. Vibrato.

15. It's a miracle when the altos get the melody.

They've been waiting all their lives for this. Let them have their moment.

16. Whatever you do, don't lock your knees.

Falling off of the risers is no walk in the park…

17. You know you look (and sound) ridiculous during warm-ups, but you don't really care.

If you learned anything from "High School Musical", it's that we're all in this together.

18. You have to swear off dairy products before every performance.

My head says to drink water, but my heart really wants a milkshake…

19. If something goes wrong, the tenors usually get blamed for it.

It may not always be their fault, but they'll usually take the fall for it anyway.

20. Everyone who isn't a bass secretly wishes that they were.

We really are all about that bass (no treble).

21. You have an existential crisis every time you're asked what your voice part is.

"Well, I'm singing Alto 1 in this choir, but I sang Alto 2 in All-State Choir. Oh, and I sang tenor in high school. And my voice teacher thinks I'm really more of a Soprano 2…"

22. When you tune a chord perfectly, it feels like the heavens open and God is smiling down on you.

Just let it ring and then bask in the glory…

23. You never get more excited than when a director picks a piece that you've sung before.

Bring on all of the feels.

24. You love comparing stories about shows that you've been in.

"I had the lead in "Fiddler on the Roof" and I was in the ensemble for "Shrek: The Musical." Wanna see pictures?"

25. There's always one person that your section relies on, and if they get sick, you're doomed.

"Our section leader is out sick. I guess we actually have to learn our music now…"

26. Your most embarrassing moment will always be that one time that you came in early during a piece.

You hope and pray that your director didn't notice, but deep down, you know they did.

27. There's always a bit of competition to see who can go the highest and the lowest during warm-ups.

"Anything you can do, I can do better…"

28. You're jealous of all the attention that the athletes get.

Singing is just as much of a workout. Do you know how hard it is to sustain a note on pitch for 16 counts without having good core strength?

29. Concert days are your equivalent of game day.

You didn't practice hours upon hours each week for nothing.

30. The people that you sing with end up feeling like family.

Fun fact: Your heartbeat literally syncs with the other members of your ensemble when you sing together so that they all beat as one. Talk about bonding.

No matter how many choirs you've been a part of, you know that there are certain things that make them unique, but that music is a universal language that connects all kinds of people, and that's what makes it all worth it.

SEE ALSO: 11 Things Everyone Misses About Show Choir