NFL Thanksgiving 2017 Schedule: Match-up Analyses

Nothing says Thanksgiving more than a good ol' NFL game.

19
YouTube

The NFL returns yet again with three games on Turkey Day, two of which are divisional game, a.k.a a very big deal if a team wants to win their division.

3. Minnesota Vikings vs. Detroit Lions

Minnesota Vikings

This season Minnesota is already 7-2 for the eighth best record in the league and they lead the NFC North. With that record, they rank sixth in the Washington Post's Week 10 power ranking.

Last season, the Vikings weren't that superb of a team. They finished 8-8 and sat third in their division behind the Lions.

It especially didn't help the fact that the Vikings felt as though veteran running back Adrian Peterson was holding them back. They subtly put him into a more quiet role, causing him to finish up the season with no touchdowns and a total of just 37 carries for 72 yards.

However, with quarterback Case Keenum dominating at his position -- due to Teddy Bridgewater's absence -- the Vikings have found solitude in Keenum's 11 touchdowns for 1,1914 with a 64.9 passer rating. As of now, there's no rush to make a switch.

Detroit Lions

The Lions hasn't gotten off to the start that they, and many of its fans, have liked. After losing the last three games of last year's regular season and just barely making it to the playoffs with a 9-7 record, one would have hoped they got off on a better foot.

So far this season, Detroit misses the top 10 in the league with their No. 13 ranking. They's 5-4 and have won two straight games over struggling teams, but they can't just keep aiming for low standards.

Despite the mediocre record, quarterback Matthew Stafford has been feeling it this season with 17 touchdowns for 2,461 yards with a 62.6 percent passer rating; some things just aren't clicking.

Match-up

Keenum has the third-best total QBR this season (72.5), which just exemplifies how dominant he has been this season. He's only been sacked once since Week 4 and with Bridgewater back, the Vikings should continue with their level of play to cruise past the Lions who has lost to teams with winning records.

Since the Lions will be home for this contest, they should be able to breathe a bit. The Vikings are one of their toughest opponents they'll be facing that could jeopardize their run.

Kick-off will be on Thursday, Nov. 23 at 12:30 p.m. ET on FOX.

2. Los Angeles Chargers vs. Dallas Cowboys

Los Angeles Chargers

If you're a football fan, you know it's been a long while since the Chargers have been a notable, successful team. They rank 22nd in the league with their 3-6 record and got bumped down to No. 24 on the Washington Post's power ranking.

Quarterback Philip Rivers has been trying to carry his team to greatness these last few years, but something just gets in the way of it.

This season he already has 15 touchdowns for 2,263 yards with a 60.1 passer rating. He's undergoing concussion protocol, but should be cleared in time for Sunday's game against the Bills.

Dallas Cowboys

Speaking of another team who got off on the wrong foot, the Cowboys haven't been living up to their expectations this season.

After the on-and-off delays for running back phenomenon Ezekiel Elliott's suspension, the Cowboys have been on a roller-coaster so far this season.

They stand at 14th in the league with their three-way tied record of 5-4 -- Atlanta Falcons and Detroit Lions.

It became obvious how much the boys' were missing Elliott and outside tackle Tyron Smith after their tough 27-7 loss against the Atlanta Falcons. Quarterback Dak Prescott was sacked five times as a result of the tackle's absence, and their running game was nowhere near as lethal as Elliott would have made it.

Match-up

Despite Dallas' bumpy road, it shouldn't be so bad that they end up losing to the Chargers. And that's simply because they still have more weapons than their opponent.

If the Chargers want to get an upset-win, they're going to have to be able to use the same techniques that the Falcons used against Prescott and figure out how to make their offensive line crumble.

Kick-off is later that day at 4:30 p.m. ET on CBS.

1. New York Giants vs. Washington Redskins

New York Giants

It's tragic talking about a last-season playoff contender that has now fallen down to the second-to-last worst team in the NFL.

After the loss of elite wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., the Giants have been struggling in every way possible.

Quarterback Eli Manning hasn't been playing at his best either, and he's been forced to rely on young receivers or tight ends for some touchdowns; of course players such as rookie Evan Engram and two-year player Sterling Shepherd have come to the rescue multiple times, but it still isn't enough.

This team has been plagued with injuries and close losses and it seems as if every week has been the same story.

Washington Redskins

Washington hasn't been off to an awful start; they're simply living up to their expected performance levels, which are winning games they're supposed to and losing games they're expected to.

They're 4-5 this season and quarterback Kirk Cousins has been doing his job by scoring 14 touchdowns for 2,474 yards with a 66.5 percent passer rating.

There's not much to say other than they're cruising along.

Match-up

With the Giants playing the way they are, it's going to be fairly simple for the Redskins to take full advantage over them. I mean, New York lost to the San Francisco 49ers, a then 0-9 team, during Week 10.

As long as Washington is able to put pressure on Manning and his trusted receivers, there's not much they need to worry about.

If the Giants want to step up their game, Manning is going to need to get more smart with the ball instead of throwing it up and praying one of his receivers magically catch it, which has been stretched so far this season.

They finish off Thanksgiving with their 8:30 p.m. ET game on NBC.