7 Reasons Why New York City is the Greatest City in the World

And I'm not just quoting Hamilton...

232
Melissa Circelli

Growing up in North Jersey, I lived about an hour from New York City. I went into "the city" pretty often. In my opinion, there is no other city like it in the world! I think it's safe to say that I miss it a little more than my hometown. Now that I've met several people who have never been to New York City, I have my reasons for why it truly is the greatest city in the world.

1. Pizza and Bagels

Need I say more? New York is known for the greatest pizza and bagels around, and once you've been to another part of the country, you will agree with me. New York is probably the only place where you can go anywhere to get pizza or bagels and I guarantee it will taste amazing!

2. This view

New York City has several observation decks where you can see the rest of the city from high above. I think there is nothing else like getting to see an entire city from one building. Going up to the deck right before the sun sets is my favorite because seeing all the lights turn on in the distance is just breathtaking.

3. Times Square

Times square is one of the busiest areas in New York City. Anywhere you look, there are advertisements for broadway shows, new shows on TV, and stores lining the sidewalk. It's even where the ball drops on New Year's Eve! I love going to Times Square and just looking around at everything and thinking about how much it has changed since the last time I've been there.

4. COFFEE

Or should I say caw-fee? Throughout the entire city, there are coffee shops everywhere; and by everywhere, I mean there is most likely one within a 2-minute walk from where you're standing. Whether you're a Starbucks fan or you run on Dunkin, there is always one close by.

5. It's the city that never sleeps

This may be because of all the coffee you can find, but everything in New York is always moving. Known for its fast pace, everyone always seems like they're in a hurry. The subway, trains, traffic, and even pedestrians who cross the street when they're not supposed to are always moving. I always find people who speedwalk past me on the sidewalk while I'm looking like a tourist.

6. It has a park in the SKY

Okay so it's not actually in the sky, but The High Line is called, "the park in the sky". The High Line is old railroad tracks that have been turned into a long walkway that goes through a neighborhood in New York City called Chelsea. There are plants along the walkway and the walkway is elevated, so they call it "the park in the sky". Like I said, it may not actually be in the sky, but nothing else can compare to it.

7. There are skyscrapers anywhere you look

Other cities I've been to around the country have only a few if they have any. New York has them everywhere you look and you can see them from far away. I love driving near New York City because once you reach a certain point, you can see the skyline and it never disappears!

BONUS:

Getting to see this anytime I'm near the city never fails to amaze me.