80% of People Don't Succeed in their New Year's Resolutions, Don't Be One of Them

New Year's Resolution Success

95
New Year Spark

Making news years resolutions at the end of each year is a time honored tradition worldwide. As 2017 comes to a close, we are beginning to reflect on ourselves and develop a list of goals to accomplish for 2018. Chances are, you, and millions of other Americans have participated in formulating a grand plan for the new year; lose weight, travel, get fit, be kind.

While the easy part is coming up with goals we want to achieve to make 2018 the best year yet, only a few of us have success in obtaining the change we wish to see in our lives. Although more than half of all resolutions fail, yours don't have to be one of them! Before conquering your resolutions, you must prepare and prep carefully, so that it does not feel nearly impossible to stick to your goals!

Not preparing and taking all steps necessary in order to be successful, is like letting a toddler attempt to swim without floaties; failure! Being that more than 80% of Americans fail to follow through on their New Year's Resolutions, nothing will be more satisfying than saying you are 1 of the 20% who actually do succeed and see the changes you wished to for the new year! Here are five tips that will help you accomplish your resolutions not just in the month of February, but all year long.

1. Be Realistic

When developing our New Years Resolutions, it is very easy to get in over our heads and jot down goals that are just too broad or extravagant. Sure, traveling the world in a short few months sounds amazing. But when thinking of these goals, we tend to forget that life still carries on. We have responsibilities, commitments, and expectations that we are held accountable for. While it is important to make your resolutions challenging, being realistic about these goals is a great way to make sure they are able to be accomplished.

2. Motivation

For a new habit to really stick, you have to be motivated to make it last longer than just a few days. If your New Year's Resolution is to work off that stubborn body fat or lose weight that you gained from the freshman 15, it ain't going nowhere without the motivation to do so! Committing to doing 10 pushups and curl-up's on your bedroom floor every night just won't cut it. Finding the courage to go to the gym and master workouts that will truly help you achieve your fitness goals, is what is required in order to really make the difference you wish to see. Sure, some resolutions are more challenging than others, but with the right mindset and motivation, anything is achievable!

3. Don't get discouraged

Granted, accomplishing goals is easier said than done. Life can get in the way of putting your full effort into working towards something, but do not let this determine how you proceed further. Change is not instantaneous but rather happens with time. Some goals will require more time and commitment than others, but after all, you have 365 to succeed in whatever you are attempting to change! Don't let a few bumps in the road discourage you, you can do it.

4. Create your own star system

If you're goal is to alter your eating habits and you order a salad rather than your usual cheeseburger, french fries, and large coke, recognize the small steps you are taking and give yourself credit! Every bit of improvement helps and calls for a little celebration.

5. Start

The most important part of all is getting started. However, we can all agree that this is by far the most difficult step. Telling yourself you are going to get up and run that mile "tomorrow" only works for so long. Don't hold back and get after it. The longer you procrastinate, the more likely it'll be that you do not accomplish this goal you have set out to achieve. You don't want to miss out on an opportunity that has potential to change your life forever.

With all of these pointers in mind, walk into the New Year with high intentions and an open mind. Show yourself what you are capable of accomplishing and always remember, anything is possible if you just believe. Make 2018 one for the books!