New Is Always Better

Barney Stinson once told Ted Mosby, "I only have one rule: new is always better." The player king of New York City was referring to the theory that new people and relationships are always better than old ones. This is based on the argument that new relationships can be fresher and seen as more exciting.

And it's true -- in many situations new is better. Let's take, for example, shoes and computers. Both are great, and when you've had them for a while you start to learn the ins and outs. Over time they go from generic to unmistakably yours, and you pride yourself in that. Shoes fit around your feet perfectly, and only you know all of the shortcuts on your computer. Nobody can quite catch on as quickly as you, and you find the perfect flow for everyday activities.

But just as you begin to get truly comfortable and relax, things start to break and fall apart. Still, you hold on to your old shoes and computer because it's what you know. Fear stops you from letting go of familiarity and denial buys you more time than you should allow.

Then finally you buy a new computer or new shoes. It's definitely different, but it's always better. It doesn't have the flaws your old one did, and your mistakes aren't splattered all across the laces. it's fresh and clean, and everybody can admit that an upgrade was long overdue.

Barney is right, "New is always better" is directly applicable to relationships. Even if the package isn't better, it can sure shine brighter. As new faces come and go some linger just long enough for your mind to stray away.

As relationships crumble it's normal to wonder if security is holding desires back. Are unwarranted desires feeding a fire that was already lit, or are they just the first signs of smoke. When you see something new, sometimes, we get greedy and ignore that we already have everything we need.

For all the times that Barney is right, in this instance he is wrong.

"New is always better" implies a relentless thirst that cannot be quenched. The word, "always," suggests that no matter how great something is, there could always be something greater. But if you are constantly in search of something better you can never be satisfied. Therefore will never be happy. Not only that, you will be so busy searching that you will miss the journey.

Even if something new in the future does turn out to be better you will never know that if you can't recognize the good that is in the "now." Being preoccupied by the what ifs of strangers is useless if there is even a chance that what you seek, you already have.