Never Stop Saying 'I Love You'

Never Stop Saying 'I Love You'

You can overcome anything with a thing called love.
11

"I love you."

Seems simple enough, right? Yet when it comes to saying it out loud, some of us seem to choke up. We live in a world where people are too intimidated by the root word to actually say it. We'd rather act like we're not phased by the idea of giving our hearts to someone; whether it be to our family, friends, or significant other. We've found it easier to build walls up against people in order to protect our own hearts.

But would we rather risk not telling the ones we love how we truly feel because we're too scared to open up? I won't judge someone for refusing to say these three simple words; however, I do believe they should be said.

Life is hectic and occasionally unbearable. We spend a majority of our time stressing over things that could easily be fixed and overthinking to the point that it makes us go insane. With this, we forget to tell those we love that we actually love them. Growing up, I have made it a habit to never go to bed upset with someone and to always say I love you. Every day that we wake up, is another day to tell the ones that mean the most to us how much we love them. Our lives and our time are too precious to not treat everyone in it like a gift.

Love is not an easy thing to define by any means, but it can be seen in every day actions. It's getting a phone call from your best friend at 2 AM because she misses you. It's getting that quick FaceTime call from your boyfriend because he hasn't seen you all day, or getting a call from your parents because something funny happened and they didn't want you to miss out on it. It's having people show up at your front door with movies and ice cream because they heard you were having a bad day. Love is easy to express, and it is easy to give.

I am the person that will tell you I love you simply because you brought me a smoothie. If my waitress brings me free salad or dipping sauces, I tell her I love her. If someone opens the door for me, I tell them I love them. It is the little things in life that I love people for.

Telling someone you love them is the easiest thing in the world to do yet we make it more complicated than it needs to be. Love is simple. It's showing people what they mean to you. Sometimes, telling someone you love them just may end up saving their life.

I was 10 when I first truly understood love and gratitude. I had noticed a homeless man sitting outside of the restaurant I was in. He didn't have much to offer, but he was making roses out of straw he found lying around. He would hand these roses out to people who passed by, never asking them for money in return. I decided to wrap up my food to go and bring it to him with my father.

I told him I didn't have any money to offer but I had a burger I didn't touch and some fries if he would like it. I ended up sitting and chatting with him for 20 minutes about his roses. At the end of our conversation he explained that he was considering ending his life soon because of the state he was in. He proceeded to hand me a rose and said "because of you, I know there is good in the world. I know that I can get through this."

I never did see him again, but I have a feeling he was grateful for what I could offer.

It is the choices we make and the words we choose that help people in the smallest of ways. Telling someone you love them may seem difficult; nevertheless, if your actions prove your feelings sometimes the words are never needed.

Don't abandon love because you're too scared of how others will react. Everyone wants to feel loved in one way or another. Love is truly the only thing that will not leave you alone. Your love for God, family, and friends can and will triumph through anything.