It May Be Cuffing Season, But That Doesn't Mean You Have To Settle

Don't settle for what is easily available for you

162
Pablo Heimplatz

Let's be honest, as the weather gets colder and the days get rainier, most people's natural instincts are to cuddle up with someone and watch a movie. A lot of relationships end up forming around the end of Fall and during Winter, which has caused the phrase "cuffing season" to spread. It's especially hard to be single when you see other couples being cute during the winter, whether it be going to Tahoe together or posting cute Instagrams all bundled up. What is important to remember, despite how badly you may want to be those couples, is that you should never settle for something easy just to be in a relationship.

I have always found it especially hard to be single when other people's relationships are being rubbed in my face. However, this is a part of life that will always be there and that will always be out in the open. My friends and I recently were talking about what it means to settle for someone, which got me thinking about the countless amounts of times I have seen this happen in front of me. Settling for someone consists of convincing yourself that you really like someone solely because you want to be in a relationship with someone.

It's important to remember that relationships are bound to happen just because it is a part of life. There have been countless amounts of times where I have thought guys would not be interested in me and I have been proven wrong. I think what many people need to realize is that a lot of the time relationships happen when you least expect them to. It is wise to focus on yourself and do what makes you happy without actively pursuing a relationship. I have seen people actively searching for a boyfriend or girlfriend, which for the most part ends up in heartbreak. Being in a relationship may feel like the most important thing in the world to some people, but it is always mentally better to try and stay positive about the subject and come to the realization that with some patience it will eventually end up happening.

Before getting into a relationship, it is important to always check in with yourself and think hard about what you want out of it and what you are willing to put in. Being in a relationship is a lot of work, and you have to make sure that who you are with is willing to put in the time. Along with that, you have to be sure that you are ready for all of the responsibilities that come with a relationship. This is why settling for someone that you may not necessarily really like or settling for someone that isn't right for you is a bad idea.

So, during this holiday season when it is cold and you want to watch a movie with someone, keep these thoughts in mind. Think about what makes you really happy and one year you will be in that situation of posting cute pictures in the snow with your significant other. Don't settle for what is easily available for you, and know that given time and patience everything will work out.