9 Reasons Why I Am Neko Atsume Trash (And I Love It)

Because we've all succumbed to these cute virtual cats.

92
Rachel Waters

I’m sure most of you have heard of the mobile game called Neko Atsume (Japanese for “Cat Collector”), and I’m sure 90 percent of you have it. It was released back in 2014, and recently, this game became super popular in countries all over the world in the middle of 2015.

Essentially, it's a game where you put out food and toys out for cats to come to your “yard,” then they come play with the toys and give you fish in return, so you're able to buy more things! It’s an addictive cycle for those of us that love cats and anything pertaining to cats.

If you've downloaded this app and have checked on your cats 27 times a day like me, this is for you.

I am Neko Atsume trash, and I am 100 percent OK with that. It's consumed a good part of my day, and with each new update that the developer, Hit Point, comes out with, I sink deeper and deeper into this game, and I can’t stop!

And this is why.

1. All the cats are so cute.

Just look at these cuties playing with the toys and sleeping on the cushions and just try to tell me that they are not adorable! I love them.

2. The cats all have their own personalities.

Whether it’s Fred, who is described as a "lady killer," or Bandit, who is described as "wild at heart," all of them being their own unique personalities to the table and we actually end up shipping some of these cats together. How can we not?! Like I said, it’s become my life.

3. I’ve followed an insane amount of Neko Atsume fan blogs.

Well over 50. This is only a few.

4. You can rename them!

If some of the cats you have in real life resemble those in the game, or if you just want to rename them with funny names, you can do so!

5. The cats give you gifts!

If they come to your yard a certain number of times, they leave you what's called mementos, and they range from tiny toothbrushes, mirrors, ribbon, sporks and even pennies! It’s very cute and makes you feel wonderful and that you’re doing a good job taking care of your cats!

6. Rare cats that come to your yard with certain toys!

These rare cats are super cute and have super punny names.

7. Among the rare cats is Tubbs.

People either love Tubbs or hate Tubbs, because he only comes to the yard to eat all of your food you worked so hard to get for your other cats, and he clearly has no consideration for anything! But he is pure and I love him.

8. The fandom is amazing.

The fan art is wonderful, as you can see.

9. It's a game about cats.

What else is better? Now go download Neko Atsume! But if, for any reason, this doesn't make you want to download it, here is a real, live Neko Atsume video that Google Japan produced. Check it out!

Happy cat collecting!