I Need To Stop Wanting To Save Everyone

I Need To Stop Wanting To Save Everyone

It's time now that I focus on saving me.

251
McKenna Shanholtzer

I’m a helper. I get pride in helping someone who needs it. I crave helping someone like a new-born baby craves a mothers touch. My mom used to remind me that I couldn’t save people. As much as I would’ve wanted to, I couldn’t.

It started at such a young age. All I wanted was to help people in anyway I could, to the point where I couldn't help my own self with absolutely anything.

But here's what I've learned in my twenty one years of living so far......people can't be saved unless they want to save themselves. They have to want it and here's where this gets a bit tricky for me. Even when people don't want my help, I want to be there because they have no one else. Who doesn't deep down want someone to be there when they fall?

You can't change people. You can't make people get the help they need and deserve until they admit they have the problem and need the help. So, it's your decision to stay by their side watching them crumble or walk away knowing you can't do anything to help them. Sounds morbid, right? I know.

Saving people isn't possible when they don't want to be saved. You have to know the difference between helping people and knowing when to walk away. When it's affecting your mental health, your happiness and your relationships you need to walk away.

I know it's hard. How can you abandon someone you want to help? But, for your own sanity and for your own health and happiness, sometimes, you have to walk away. You can't save everyone.

I'm not telling you to walk away from your best friends life. There's a difference between holding your best friend in the dark and being there, and needing to walk away. We all know the difference.

You can not save people, you can only love them. Love them close up when they let you, and love them from a far when it's time to walk away.

It's time I've realized that I can't save people who especially don't want to be saved, but that doesn't mean I can't save my own self. That's what I was meant to do. It's time now, I focus on saving me.