Shedding Light On Mental Health

Shedding Light On Mental Health

When did mental illness become something to stop talking about?

46
Shedding Light On Mental Health
Static.Guim

One in five adults in America experience a mental illness.

Nearly one in every 25 (10 million) adults in America live with a serious mental illness.

One half of all chronic mental illnesses set in by the age of 14; three quarters by the age of 24.

Approximately 61.5 million Americans suffer from some type of mental illness.

Depression is on the rise, as is suicide. Teenage suicide is more prevalent now than ever before.

We see teens acting out on aggression and anxiety, injuring themselves as well as others.

So why haven't we heard more about mental health?

We are constantly told of the importance of remaining physically fit, but what about being mentally fit?

There is no cookie cutter example of mental illness. It varies between people. There are conditions such as bipolar disorder or multiple personality disorder that render clear in the minds of those who hear of mental illness. Not all of those suffering are easy to spot. There are also subtle illnesses. It is very likely that you go to class with a handful of students who suffer from mental illnesses and you don't even know it. They may not even know it.

“I had people saying to me, ‘It’s all in your head.’ And I’d say, ‘Do you honestly think I want to feel this way?’” -Sonia Estrada, Nipomo

Mental illness is something that many hide from the world, because the world often deems these people as crazy or incapable. The stereotype that falls with this sort of label is something that needs to be changed. Being mentally ill does not make a person incapable, it just makes life a little more difficult. From the outside looking in, it's easy to tell an individual to move past their illness. It's all mental, right? A mental illness should be overcome by the very thing that is causing the suffering, right?

“They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me.” -Nathanial Lee

Oftentimes, it is not this simple. Being on the forefront of a mental health issue is described as being unable to control your body's actions or thoughts. It is helplessness within yourself. Individuals become defensive as a way to remain in control of their situation. This puts a strain on friendships and relationships. Science cannot explain exactly what occurs within the brain in order for a mental disorder to occur. Some say it may be genetics, while others say it is the individual's past that contributes.

What is known is that personal relations often have the greatest impact on treatment.

"Never give up on someone with a mental illness. When "I" is replaced by "We," illness becomes wellness." -Unknown

An illness is not forever. It often takes one person to pull an individual out of the darkest part of the their illness. A hug or a simple "Are you okay?" can move mountains. Don't be afraid of taking a step toward helping someone who looks lost. Mental illness is a real thing, and it should be emphasized more clearly. Individuals often need a shoulder to lean on or someone to help them along the way. Don't hesitate to be the difference.