The NBA's Top 5 Point Guards

The NBA's Top 5 Point Guards

Did Your Teams PG Make The List?

2
The NBA's Top 5 Point Guards
Gus Chan / The Plain Dealer)

It seems like only yesterday that Kyrie Irving hit a game-winning three- pointer to help the Cavaliers defeat the Golden State Warriors in 7 games. The Cavs brought the city of Cleveland their first championship, in any major sport, since 1964. Part of the reason why the Cavs won the title was because Irving outplayed the back-to-back MVP, Stephen Curry. There has never been a time in the NBA where the quality of point guards was this deep. Whoever plays in the Western Conference, there are no nights off. So, who is the best PG in the NBA?

#5 Chris Paul, Los Angeles Clippers

The Former Wake Forest star is on the “Back-9” of his career but he is still an elite PG. Last season Paul averaged 19.5 points, 10 assists, 2.1 steals and shot 89% from the free throw line. Until Paul can get over the hump and take his team to the Western Conference Finals or NBA championship he will always receive criticism. At 30 years old, his window is closing. If the Clippers don’t make a deep run into the playoffs, look for them to make drastic changes.

#4 Damian Lillard, Portland Trailblazers

Most so-called “experts” expected Portland to be a lottery team last season. They lost 4 starters and had a ton of question marks. That didn’t seem to bother Lillard. He had his best season to date. In a brutal Western Conference, Lillard led his team to a #5 seed with a 44-38 record and got them to the 2nd round of the playoffs. At times he is almost unstoppable. He averaged 25.8 points, 6.8 assists and 4 rebounds per game. The trick will be to get back to the playoffs. Teams will not take the Trailblazers lightly anymore. At 26 years old, Lillard is not even close to being in his prime yet. That is scary news for the rest of the NBA.

#3 Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers

Over the past 40 years, other than Magic Johnson, there hasn’t been a PG to come into the NBA and accomplish what Irving has accomplished. At 24 years old, he has won the Rookie of the Year, an NBA Title, an Olympic gold medal, appeared in 3 NBA All-Star games and won the All-Star game MVP in 2014. In 7 games against a team that went 73-9, Irving averaged 27.1 points, 2.1 steals and shot 93.9% from the free throw line. Irving’s game elevated against the biggest competition in the world. Over the next two seasons,the Cavs will make him the number 1 option on offense and he will be the best PG in the NBA. His ball handling skills are second to none and he is becoming one of the best three-point shooters in the league.

#2 Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder

Westbrook is the most athletic PG in the history of the NBA. Other than Washington’s John Wall, no one goes coast to coast faster with the ball than the former UCLA Bruin. He can beat anyone off the dribble and has the size and strength to finish around the rim with authority. He is “Magic Johnson like” but a much better scorer. Westbrook is a triple double machine. Last season he averaged 23.5 points, 10.4 assists and 7.8 rebounds per game. As good as he is during the regular season, his numbers go up during the playoffs. With Kevin Durant going to the Golden State Warriors, expect Westbrook to be even better. It will be very surprising if he is not in the running for MVP in 2017.

#1 Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors

Curry is the best shooter in the history of the NBA. He is deadly when he spots up. He can also beat you off the dribble, stop on a dime, and pull up from way downtown. There has never been a player with his range. Steve Kerr, Reggie Miller and Ray Allen were great shooters but none could really do it off the dribble consistently the way Curry can. He is one of the best ball handlers in the NBA and has a basketball IQ that is reminiscent of Larry Bird. He seems to always be one or two steps ahead of the defense. It will be interesting to see how the Warriors develop chemistry with Kevin Durant. The only negative to Curry’s game is that he is starting to wear down in the playoffs. Teams are really starting to be physical with him and push him around. When healthy he is the clear cut choice for the best PG in the league.

Follow the Sports Whisperer on Twitter: Montetjwitter11