2019 NBA Draft: Who Got Picked?

2019 NBA Draft: Who Got Picked?

Zion? Ja? RJ? Who's building the next dynasty?

53

Let's be honest we've all had a dream at some point, rather it's a game, changing business, education, journalism or playing in a major league sports one day. The date is June, 21st 2019 and a new group of special talents had their dreams come true by being drafted in the 2019 NBA draft. There was history made, some shocking picks, some underrated picks, but nonetheless many, many dreams came true.

1. Zion Williamson heading to New Orleans.

Zion Williamson went as the number one overall pick last night to the New Orleans Pelicans. Williamson had an amazing season as a freshman at Duke University this past year. From the beginning of the basketball season, everyone was talking about him going as the number one pick in the draft. Last night, this came true. Williamson is part of the rebuild in New Orleans, so it will be interesting to see how his rookie season will go. But what's most touching is the interview he did with Maria Taylor after his name was called. Williamson got a little emotional while giving all the credit to his mother. You can watch the interview here.

2. Ja Morant joining the Grizzlies.

Ja Morant of Murray State went as the number two pick to the Memphis Grizzlies. Morant only received one offer coming out of high school, Murray State. Morant lead his team to the Sweet Sixteen this year in the tournament, and became only the ninth player in NCAA history to record three triple-doubles in the tournament. It will be quite a show to see how he fills in Michael Conley's shoes at point guard this season.

3. RJ Barrett brings Spike Lee hope.

Rounding out the top three picks was RJ Barrett, teammate and best friend of Zion Williamson, headed to the Knicks. Originally there was talk about Barrett being the number two pick, but then Ja Morant showed up and made it a hard-to-tell situation about who would be second or third. But Barrett being in New York will be a good thing. He has room to grow his tremendous game even further. He also had an emotional interview with his father and Maria Taylor after hearing his name. You can watch here.

4. Reigning NCAA Champ De'Andre Hunter is going to Atlanta.

De'Andre Hunter is going to the ATL. Hawks got to snag Hunter at the number four pick from the Pelicans via LA Lakers. Hunter won the NCAA Championship this past year at Virginia. Hunter will get to join Trae Young and the young team to hopefully get into rebuild mode after this past NBA season.

5. Darius Garland to be alongside Collin Sexton. 

Darius Garland is going to The Land, picked at number five. Garland has excellent ball handles and is quick, which after this season is something that Cleveland desperately needs. But will this work with Collin Sexton? Having the ball most of last season, will Sexton utilize Garland along with other teammates?

6. Cam Reddish joins Young Hawks.

Cam Reddish of Duke is also going to the Atlanta Hawks. Reddish at number 10, makes history with Zion and RJ as the first time Duke has ever had three players picked in the top 10 picks of the draft. Reddish makes an excellent addition to this up and coming Hawks team. He also got a shout out from Pat Maholmes of the Kansas City Chiefs.

7. Rui Hachimura makes history.

Rui Hachimura of Gonzaga makes history by being the third player born in Japan and being drafted, and being the first of those three to be drafted in the first round. He is going to the Wizards and has a chance to make history for Japan, as well as make them proud.

8. Jarrett Culver experiences different climates really quick. 

Jarrett Culver of Texas Tech is heading to Minnesota. This past season, Culver lead his team to the NCAA Championship game, where they fell to Virginia. Culver was originally picked by the Suns at number six, then traded to the Timberwolves for Cameron Johnson. Culver will bring life to the TWolves, and maybe potential threat to Andrew Wiggins?

9. Cameron Johnson, get ready for a weather change. 

Cameron Johnson of University of North Carolina is heading to the Phoenix Suns. Suns have not been too hot the past few season, being a very young and inexperienced team, but hopefully Johnson can help out this season. Teammate Coby White (drafted by the Bulls) gave him all the love during his press conference after hearing he got drafted.

10. Bol Bol of Oregon picked late. 

Bol Bol of Oregon ended up being picked in the second round at number 44, which was a shocker to most. He was drafted by the Miami Heat, then traded to the Denver Nuggets. Bol Bol didn't get to play much last season due to a knee injury. Standing at 7 feet 3 inches, he will be a great Big Man in due time.

11. ASU's Very Own Undrafted.

Luguentz Dort and Zylan Cheatham both went undrafted last night. Fortunately though, both got to sign as undrafted free agents. Dort is going to the Oklahoma City Thunder, while Cheatham will get to join number one overall Zion Williamson in NOLA.

12. And With the 57th Pick...

The New Orleans Pelicans selected Jordan Bone of Tennessee. Bone's family was in the middle of saying some kind words about coming to the watch party and being undrafted, but then suddenly in the middle of the speech his name was called by the New Orleans Pelicans.

13. Carson Edwards at 33

Edwards had a great season at Purdue this year. Houston native helped lead his team to the Elite Eight this year, where they lost to Virginia. Edwards was drafted by the Sixers, but then traded to the Celtics. With Kyrie Irving wanting out of Boston, will Edwards get to step in?

Now, this is just SOME of what happened on draft night. For a full breakdown of the first round, check out this New York Times analysis. There's no telling what will happen this season. Who will be Rookie of The Year? Will a new dynasty be made? We can get a sneak peek, when the Summer League starts Friday, July 5.