New Orleans Pelicans get Zion

Zion Has His Destination! What's Next?

The Pelicans won Zion Williamson!

36
Zion Has His Destination! What's Next?

Congratulations to the New Orleans Pelicans, who won the first overall pick in the 2019 NBA draft! The Pelicans had only a 6% of receiving the number one pick, and boy, if you are going to beat the odds, this was the year to do it!

The number one pick will, without a doubt, be Zion Williamson. This probably wasn't the destination that most of the basketball world was hoping for him to end up at – the teams with the highest odds to land the pick were the Knicks, Cavs, and Suns, so their hopes were up pretty high.

However, no such luck for suffering franchises, who ended up with the 3rd, 5th, and 6th picks. Unfortunately for the Cavs and Suns, the draft class considerably drops off after the top three picks of Zion, Ja Morant, and RJ Barrett, so the Knicks should still be able to get a very quality player with the third pick.

But now to the Pelicans, who are in a bit of pickle on where to go next. The Pelicans have Anthony Davis right now, who is an incredible player and has done great things for the team, but this past January, he has insisted on a trade. As far as rumors go, the Pelicans win with getting Zion still hasn't been enough for Davis to reconsider staying in New Orleans. This I am not surprised by, considering Davis and Williamson play the same position, and the Pelicans still aren't known as a reputable franchise.

There was speculation that if the Knicks received the number one pick, they would trade Zion to the Pelicans for AD, but now the Pelicans have lucked out with getting Zion without the help of another team. This puts the Pelicans in a much better position than they originally were, and so, they should be able to lure more talent out to New Orleans. Lucky for them, even if AD still leaves, they will be left with a superstar. So either way, the future is looking very bright for the New Orleans Pelicans.