The National Anthem Isn't Something That Can Be Protested

Disrespecting those who give their lives for your country should not be considered peaceful protesting.

347
YouTube

I have grown up my entire life with nothing but respect for the American flag, the National Anthem, and every man and woman, regardless of color, that has fought for me to live the life I do. The National Anthem to me symbolizes so much more than just America as a country. To me, it is the sound of thousands of soldiers who won't come home this holiday season, the sound of thousands of soldiers who won't come home at all. It is the men and women who have given their lives for hundreds of years so that I can sit here right now and type an article about how special one song can be.

There is just something about it that shakes you to the core. Something about those timeless words that just makes you feel like you are a part of something bigger.

In this country right now, there is so much hate and divisiveness. I don't care who or what you voted for or whether you won or lost. What matters is how we choose to tackle this obstacle as a nation. I can longer sit by and pretend that what is happening on national television weekend after weekend is acceptable.

For a country as great as the United States of America, the last thing we should be divided on is whether or not we honor our military men, women, children, and families.

Former NFL Seahawks player and Green Beret Veteran, Nate Boyer, came out this weekend stating:

We wouldn't drape it over fallen heroes' coffins if it wasn't the most important piece of cloth to this country. So I just want everyone to understand that, especially these players, that it hurts me. I hate seeing it every time. I hate seeing sitting. I have seen kneeling. But at the same time, it is absolutely their right. I'll fight for every American just like every solider does, whether they agree or not."

The fact that honoring our American heroes is becoming rare is absolutely devastating to those who grew up with nothing but love for our men and women. We understand your right to free speech. We understand your right to protest.

What we do not understand is why you are choosing to protest the men and women who give you the very right to do so?

Alejandro Villaneuva, former Army Ranger and current offensive tackle for the Steelers, stated back in 2016 that:

"I will be the first one to hold hands with Colin Kaepernick and do something about the way minorities are being treated in the United States, the injustice that is happening with police brutality, the justice system, inequalities in pay. You can't do it by looking away from the people that are trying to protect our freedom and our country."

The National Anthem is not something that can be boycotted or protested. The National Anthem is something that we as Americans should feel in our souls and in our hearts. Alejandro Villaneuva should not have had to serve his country only to come home and watch the flag and song of the country he defended with his life be disrespected. Nate Boyer should not be considered 'bold' for stating that the song and flag he would have given his life for is worth more than protesting.

If you want your protest to be for the good of the nation, for the good of the people in it, for the good of those giving their lives to protect it -- start by loving your country first.

So hats off to you Villaneuva and Boyer. Hats off to the dozens of other men choosing to stand and honor their flag and their nation's song. You have nothing less than my utmost love and respect.