9 NASCAR Drivers To Have Your Eye On This Season

NASCAR is just getting their engines reeved up for the season, it's going to be a good one!

109
@NASCAR on Instagram

It might be March and everyone is focused on March Madness and the wind down of College Basketball, but NASCAR season is just getting heated up. With lots of new changed this season, like Chevy’s new Camaro, two young guns at Hendrick Motorsports, Charlotte being a ‘roval’ in the fall, Indy’s race in the Chase, and most of the field being under 35 years old, it’s a season to watch.

With big names retiring last year like Dale Jr, and Matt Kenseth, some fans are left driverless. Have no fear, NASCAR lover, advocate and basically analysis is here. After the first four weeks of racing are my top 9 drivers, old and new that you need to be watching this season!

1. Chase Elliott

Chase same so close last year to a race win but would come up short by being wrecked or having car trouble. Hendrick might be off to a rough start this year, but Chase has the drive to end in Victory Lane, at least once this season. It’s his year.

2. Darrell ‘Bubba’ Wallace Jr

His Top 5 at Daytona was one for the books. He became the first African American to finish 2nd in the Daytona 500. Mind you he is also in the famed 43 at Richard Petty Motorsports. He is sure to keep up the good work. Oh yeah, this is his rookie year. He is my Rookie of the Year pick.

3. Kyle Larson

Kyle had a heck of a run last season in the Chase but ended up getting eliminated in the middle due to blown engines and wrecks. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, right? Keep your eye on Kyle. With his dirt background, he has a great hold on the new Chevy Camaro, best in the field. And I mean, we need lots more of these adorable pictures of Kyle and his son!

4. Alex Bowman

He started the year off on the front row of the Daytona 500. He isn’t one to watch just because he is in Dale Jr’s old ride the 88 car. For old Jr fans, he may seem like the perfect choice, but that is not why I have him picked. He has said a couple times so far this season that he is not Jr and he isn’t trying to be Jr too. Alex has been around longer than most remember. His Cup series rookie year was in 2014. He flew right under the radar for a while, then filled in for Dale Jr when he was injured in 2016. With this time, he knows how the sport rolls. This is his year to shine!

5. Kurt Busch

Yes, Kurt is 40 years old this year. He is not exactly a young gun and hasn’t been for a while. He has one Championship in NASCAR’s top series from way back in 2004. Since he has been in numerous different rides and has majorly toned down his ‘Busch’ attitude. He is off to a pretty strong start this year. His teammate to Kevin Harvick, and in the 11th in points currently. He has two top 10’s and two DNF’s. He is 50/50.

The season is still young. Stewart Hass Racing seems better adjusted to their Ford program then they were last year. But remember it is only year two of Fords, so things can still be in the process of learning. Kurt seems to have his racing and personal life sorted out well. Expect to see him in Victory Lane a couple times this year.

6. Matt “DiBurrito” Dibenedetto

Matt is pretty much Twitter famous in the NASCAR world, and in today’s age of social media, it runs to his advantage. He has one top 10 finish at Bristol, which leads him right to the hearts of Cinderella Story lovers in NASCAR. He was without sponsorship for the ISM race and he took to his large social media fan base, which leads him to get the attention of a few sponsors and money from Kevin Harvick, Denny Hamlin, and Darrell Waltrip. Matt is very open to his internet fan base and usually has a meet and greet at every race where he takes a few moments to talk to every fan in line. Who knows, new sponsors could give him great finishes.

7. Kevin Harvick

I can’t make a list of drivers to watch and not mention so far three in a row on the #NASCARGoesWest. Given, one win’s championship points have been taken away due to his car breaking rules. He claims to be Chase ready only four races in.

8. Kyle Busch

Don’t booo me or throw food or bottles, please. He is second place in points right now and he just keeps coming short to Harvick. So, he would be on that I would say needs to be watched. The 2015 championship winning driver is itching to get back in victory lane, and all NASCAR fans know that it is just a matter of time until he is back in Victory Lane.

9. Jimmie Johnson

You really think I could go without 7-time? Heck no. This season has been a rough start for Jimmie Johnson. Honestly, it’s been painful as a fan. But with Lowe’s announcing they were done sponsoring Jimmie Johnson (and pulling out of NASCAR completely) after this season. Talk about news. Lowe’s has headed Jimmie since his debut in NASCAR’s top series. What better way to pay tribute? Championship number 8! We all know that if anyone could do it, it would be Jimmie Johnson. He might have a very slow start this season, but the 48 team will be in Victory Lane and the Chase until Homestead.

Bonus Driver: Jordan Anderson

While this has been all about the Monster Cup Guys, I have to through this one on here. The Camping World Truck Series does not get much love and it really is a great series to follow. So with that said Jordan is a guy that you just can't love. Jordan is an extremely hard-working driver, he drives his truck to every race. Talk about dedication, not to mention this year he started his own team. He got his first ever top 10 at Daytona, sliding across the start/finish line.

The finish was nearly a win or a top 5. Jordan is defiantly headed to do big things, so expect more top 10’s and 15’s this season. Also, he’s always active on his Twitter and Snapchat and very interactive with fans. Fingers crossed he gets his first win this season!